This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Meet this weeks campus celebrity who’s got it all: beauty, brains and ambition. You may know her as President of George Mason’s Panhellenic Council or have seen her running around campus doing good deeds. She is heavily involved in Greek Life and her passion to make George Mason a better place makes her such an inspiring character. Read below to see why she earned this week’s candidate for campus celebrity! 

Where are you from? Chantilly, Virginia

What’s your major? Marketing

What are you involved with on campus? President of George Mason University Panhellenic Council, Director of Chapter Programming for Alpha Phi Fraternity and Mason Service Council Delegate for Alpha Phi Fraternity.

What is the most gratifying experiences you have gained from the organizations you are a part of? The most gratifying experience that I have gained was from participating in the Greek Alternative Spring Break last year. I had the opportunity to help underprivileged families in Cleveland, Ohio, build a safe and secure home.

Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer? I would say that I am more of a hunter. When I see something that I want or that I need, I go out and get it. I am not the kind of person who will wait for something to come to me.

What is your guilty pleasure TV show? My guilty pleasure TV show would be How I Met Your Mother. It’s witty and keeps me laughing after a long day.

Why did you choose Mason? I didn’t necessarily choose Mason, in fact, I really didn’t want to go here because it is so close to where I grew up. However, through a series of events, I ended up here, and looking back now, I’m so happy Mason is where I ended up and I wouldn’t change a thing!

Where do you see yourself after college? I see myself in a good job that provides me the opportunity to learn new skills and potentially work towards my master’s degree.

What future innovations would you like to see happen here at Mason? An innovation that would be very beneficial would be a system that would allow the different organizations, specifically Greek organizations to have reservations or first pick on larger campus facilities that would allow them to have a guaranteed meeting place each week. With our campus lacking in Greek housing, members of the community often have trouble finding a large enough room that is not already booked, to hold their chapter meetings. As our Greek community continues to grow, this will become a larger and larger problem.

Who is your Man Crush? My loving and supportive boyfriend who puts up with me on days I wouldn’t want to.

What is some advice you would tell all incoming freshman that you wish you had taken coming into college? I would encourage anyone I encounter to go Greek because it has provided me with great opportunities and friends for life. However,  if Greek life isn’t for them, as is the case for many people on campus, I would tell a freshman to just get involved in something. Regardless of what your interest is, there is an organization for it and new people to meet who love the same things. 

Kayla Hanigan

George Mason University

Currently a Senior majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Mild Disabilities. A member of Alpha Phi sorority, Serengetee Campus Rep and a part of Leadership and Community Engagement LLC. Most likely found obsessing over Goats
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com