Put Your Best Boot Forward: Boots for the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
You’re almost halfway through your first semester of school-how about a little pick me up?Boot season is back, woo!!  If you are not as excited as I am, you should be. Boots the shoe you need to invest in and there are plenty of options to choose from. I’m over the UGG and you need to be too. Unless it is ten below zero or you are suffering from the flu, keep the sheepskin trend for around the house or on your way to the gym. Leather, suede, motorcycle you name it, any of these fabulous styles can transform your outfit instantly. My favorite looks include-boots with dark denim tucked into them, booties with trousers, and over-the-knee leather boots with a wool skirt. Since every one’s style is unique I believe it is important to explore your options before hitting the submit button in your shopping cart.

Boots can be pricey but the pairs you invest in can last decades. There are plenty of affordable options as well that can be purchased from Macy’s to Steve Madden. Classic leather in black or cognac goes with everything from sweater dresses with leggings to cords. Make sure to treat your leather seasonally and your boot will stay in the best condition. Booties are the go to trend for fall and winter. Thicker heels make for a more comfortable option. Wear with black jeans for a dinner date, or if you dare to be bold, score yourself a leopard print pair and wear them with just about anything. Motorcycle boots embody cool. Think Kate Moss and throw on a leather jacket over a floral or lace dress and viola you can look like you are walking into NYC fashion week instead of the JC. The riding boot is the epitome of chic. Frye makes well over fifty styles, any of which would be the perfect add on to your closet. These classic boots will never go out of style and continue to stand against new trends.

Best boot I have found thus far this season.  Cognac is the new black.  Score yourself a pair of these flat riding boots and wear them with everything, except yoga pants- ladies make an effort. Nordstrom $198

I highly recommend investing in Frye’s if you are able too.  These boots will last you years and never go out of style.  A one or two inch heel dress up your outfit, but these also look great with a classic skinny jean and over sized tunic. Nordstrom $297

Booties, booties, booties.  Get a pair.  They do not have to be expensive or follow the rules.  A great color to invest in would be dark purple or chocolate brown.  Suede for night, leather all the time.  ShopBop $130

A girl can dream, right?  If you are able to snag a pair of these to die for Tory Burch’s wear them until the sole is no longer there, and then, get the sole replaced.  Tory Burch $495

Think Sienna Miller meets Nicole Richie meets Kate Hudson.  The engine boot from Frye look amazing with just about anything you already own.  Stick with black and add some edge to your look. Urban Outfitters $198
Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.  
Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.