An Open Letter to FBLA-PBL Advisers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Adviser Appreciation Day of FBLA-PBL week is not enough to show you gratitude for all that you have done for me. I do not think I could ever thank you enough for your time, dedication, and investment in me. You are the backbone of this organization, the reason why it has come to be the largest and oldest student business organization in the world.

My experience in this organization has been phenomenal, and I have you to thank for that.

These are some of the many things that I would like to thank you for:

Building my confidence

You saw talent in me and helped me unlock my potential. You taught me how to believe in myself. You pushed me out of my comfort zone, helped me soar to new heights, and showed me that I was capable of doing what I set my mind to. Because of you, I can confidently give a firm handshake, network with others, and deliver an elevator pitch.

Introducing me to business attire

Before joining FBLA-PBL, I had no idea what business casual or business professional meant. Quite frankly, I did not have any business clothes to start with. I purchased my first nice suit because of a competitive event, conference, or meeting through this organization. Now, my friends go to me for business attire advice.

Giving me a competitive edge

You went the extra mile, outside your busy schedule, to coach me in my competitive event. You spent time with me outside the classroom to be my one-on-one mentor. We celebrated victories, but you also showed me that it was okay to lose and not be perfect, that those moments should be taken as learning experiences to better myself.

Demonstrating the importance of philanthropy

I learned that volunteerism touches the lives of many through the various community service projects you helped me put on. We are all humans with dignity and we should all be lifting each other up, no matter what our circumstances may be. From Project ASK to the March of Dimes, I experienced the joy in serving others without expecting anything in return.

Helping me get my foot in the door (in the workforce)

You helped me fill out my first job application. You proofread my resumes and cover letters time after time, until they were of exceptional quality. You practiced interviewing with me over and over again, giving me constructive criticism on how I could convey myself in the best manner possible. You reminded me to follow up with my interviewer or to write a cold email to the hiring manager to see the progress of my application. 

As cliché as it sounds, I would not be where I am today if it were not for you. The skills I have obtained from you, my FBLA-PBL adviser, are invaluable and have shaped me into the leader I am today.

If there is anything I can do to re-pay you, it is to promise you that this is just a start to a legacy of leadership.

Sincerely,

An FBLA-PBL Member

Photo courtesy of Laura Albrecht

Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com