This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Since starting college, I’ve had to actually start paying attention to the kinds of produce and groceries I buy (yikes, adulting..) With meal prepping and budgeting to worry about, I found myself leaning more towards generic brands for snacks and smaller amounts of produce. That is, until I finally decided to check out what Trader Joe’s had to offer. Life changed as I knew it. I know it sounds weird, but now, I find myself at my local Trader Joe’s more times a week than I’d like to admit. Honestly, I haven’t really bought groceries from anywhere else recently, and here’s just a little (love letter) explanation behind my claim that Trader Joe’s is probably the best place for collegiettes to grocery shop.

Via TownCenterPlaza.com

For one, all of the products they offer are their own name brand, making them super cheap but also pretty good quality. I personally buy a lot of the snacks I consume from Trader Joe’s because of their prices and because a lot of their packaging and seasonal items are just too good to pass up. It’s really hard to not splurge on snacks just because they’re affordable and just so dang festive.Via TraderJoe’s

I mean, pumpkin spiced pumpkin seeds? Sign me up..that counts as a healthy snack..right?

Second, the produce at Trader Joe’s is high quality and surprisingly affordable. I was shocked to find that some items like avocados (hot commodity, let me tell you) were reasonably priced. Having access to nicely portioned, packaged and priced fruits and veggies is such a plus when it comes to maintaining a healthy diet on a busy schedule.Via Eatlikenoone.com

Another reason this is the perfect little slice of paradise: vegetarian and vegan options galore! If you’re like me and love the idea of cleaner and cruelty-free eating, Trader Joe’s is the spot for all of your animal-friendly or veggie-based meals. There is an entire list of products devoted specifically to all of their vegan products and some of the options are just fantastic. I was honestly so impressed with all of the ready-made meals that were vegan and the everyday products that were again, surprisingly compassionate. Let’s just say I don’t buy my almond milk from anywhere but Trader Joe’s these days.

Via Hummusapien.com

Overall, Trader Joe’s is 10/10 when it comes to the grocery game. Aside from groceries, they also have a fine selection of $4 wine. That’s besides the point, but if you’re ever looking for ready-made meals (do yourself a favor and try their premade mac and cheese!), affordable produce or just really good seasonal and everyday items, take a trip to Trader Joe’s. You won’t be going back to any other grocery store- and that’s probably for the best.

Via Giphy

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com