Love Trumps Hate at George Mason University Post-Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Following the unprecedented election finale last night, George Mason students are finding ways to move on with a Donald Trump presidency. Senior Curtis Eichelberger and sophomore John Millward stood outside the North Plaza to offer free hugs and words of wisdom on politics. Eichelberger came up with the idea for the free hugs after witnessing the fear on Facebook due to the election results. Millward joined in on the free hugs project because he wanted to be productive and make a difference on campus.

“There are a lot of people, myself included, that are scared, sad, or angry at the results of this election. The whole point of this [project] was to spread love, no matter who you voted for, and really try and encourage people to unify and show love.”

In the span of five minutes, 11 people thanked them or came over for a hug. Eichelberger added, “There has been a plethora of hostility throughout this election season and we need to remind people that love is out there, and it’s worth spreading and fighting for.” Students wearing all black because they “were in mourning” of the election walked by Eichelberger and Millward and thanked the boys for their positivity. 

According to Millward, “If you’re losing friends over this election cycle, you need to reevaluate. We all have our differences, but we need to come together moving forward. Politics suck. Love is great.”

Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it." 
Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev