Gift Guide: Go to Gift Guide for Your Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
In the world of retail it is never too early to start thinking about the holiday season.   If you are anything like yours truly, you start planning your gift guide come October.  I love giving my loved ones and good friends great gifts.  Nothing makes me happier than seeing their faces light up as they tear through the color-coded tissue paper.  Now maybe I am a little too prepared for this time of year, but for anyone who has bills to pay, you know that once December hits you have multiple investments to endure in.  Sequin dresses, satin shoes– don’t worry there will be a separate write up for those things later on.

Finding said gifts could be quite the hunt especially if your friends are into all things fashionable and fabulous.  This does not mean that you cannot wow them while not abusing your bank account.  Get creative.  First, I always ask my friends if the need anything.  A shirt, a piece of jewelry, a scarf, something they haven’t been able to purchase themselves, which I can help by completing their look.  Next, if I get the “go” I think about what my friends already own and who they are as a person.  Are they a music junkie? Do they have an obsession with cocktail rings? Are they cluttering freaks-in which case the Container Store could do no wrong?

Lastly, I do my research.  I don’t just go to Nordstrom.com and type in “infinity scarf,” I weigh my options.  There are thousands of places to shop online so I like to go to non-chain stores to see what they have.  Mixing in new designers can make average gifts more thoughtful because it shows that you took the time to get off your couch and shop for the person specifically.  If you are struggling to check everyone off your list there are other alternatives as well. When in doubt a card can go a long way. Trust me.  I love cards more than the actual gift most of the time.  Writing a heartfelt note is the easiest way to show someone how much you love them.  Add a creative assortment of their favorite candies, make them green and red cupcakes or pick them up a five- dollar Starbucks card. Download their favorite songs and make them a mixed CD so they can jam to in their car.  Anything personalized will be appreciated.  Inevitably with a little thought your friends will feel loved, which after all is what this season is about.

Here are a few of my favorite things to give to all of those closest to my heart, especially the ones who put up with me on a daily basis…..

For the Bookie: Coffee Table books are one my favorite things to give/receive.  They are so versatile based on your friend’s interests and usually very reasonable.  Here is one that any fashionista would love to add to her collection.  $40-Nordstrom.com
For the Hipster: House of Harlow jewels are a must! Nicole Richie has found a way to incorporate her boho style into a wallet friendly accessories line.  These studs are only $30 and can be worn with anything.  Nordstrom.com
For the Prepster: Each of these bangles come with an idiom.  The perfect pop of color for anyone who loves costume jewelry.  Your friend will adore  this Kate Spade bracelet and I guarantee they will not leave the house without it. katespade.com
For the Foodie: Cookie Cutters get everyone into the holiday spirit!  This assorted set includes messages which will guarantee a smile.  Wrap them in green or red cling wrap and tie them with a bow to complete the look.  $19.95 williams-sonoma.com

For the Techie: Since we all have separation anxiety from our phones, shouldn’t we be starring at something with an adorable cover? Can you say stocking stuffer?  Get, give and receive this Iphone cover in multiple prints including zebra(for your wild friend). $35 katespade.com
Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.  
Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.