A Brief Update On What You Missed: A Collegiette’s Guide To The Grammy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Traditionally, Sundays are supposed to be a day of rest. It’s your last day of freedom before another hectic week begins. Sunday morning screams breakfast in bed and piping hot tea before bedtime. This all sounds so relaxing and glamorous — something I know nothing about. College isn’t the real world. Sunday means waking up with a hangover and staying up till dawn trying to finish up the last of your homework from the week before. Last week, the Grammys conveniently fell smack in the middle of the homework rush. So, if you were one of the devastated students lusting over your twitter feed, here’s what you missed…

The Grammys are known as one of the most prestigious awards shows known to man. They were created to praise musical artists of all genres. That mini golden gramophone is something that musicians around the world drool over. This year, they decided to take the awards part out of the equation. Squished between dozens of performances were the very few awards they kindly presented. I believe the idea was to combine male and female categories, but it was such a disappointment! These poor artists’ chances are cut in half so that the Foo Fighters could play a few songs that no one had ever heard before. And, the awards go to…

Adele. For months and months, every one on the planet has been listening to and obsessing over Adele. Her heartbreak, humbleness and good-heart translate beautifully through each and every song on her record. This year, Adele walked away with all 6 of her Grammy nominations—a well-deserved flush.

Jennifer Hudson. If you missed her tribute to Whitney Houston, you better start Google-ing it. She didn’t actually win a Grammy…but she should have.

Chris Brown. If his win wasn’t finalized before he preformed, it certainly solidified it. CBreezy preformed a medley of his new song, Turn up the Music, all while jumping around a giant, glowing Tetris set. With this single, he will likely steal the Grammy for Best R&B Album again next year. Let’s just hope he keeps his hands to himself.

Not Nicki Minaj. If you missed the show, I’m sure you’ve already heard more about it than you ever wanted to know. She crossed the line, and not in a good way. They would have been better off projecting the Exorcist of Emily Rose on mute with a beat blaring in the background. Nicki’s performance will surely make history, but not in a good Britney-kissing-Madonna kind of way.

Even though I felt like I was watching MTV, the Grammys did it again. Dozens of rising, current and legendary artists were honored. While this is just a start, remember that Google is your friend. But please, remember to use caution. Take a second to really consider what you’re doing before searching for anything about Nicki Minaj. You might regret it.

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.