4 Ways to Make the Most of Your Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Here at Georgia College, we only get three days off for Thanksgiving. It may not seem like much, but if you spend your time wisely the break will be the fuel to get you through finals!

1.      Don’t stress about what you need to do after the break. It’s a break. If you need the time off, take it. There’s only one more full week until finals, and that week is usually jam-packed, so go ahead and take advantage of the calm before the storm. Your family will appreciate your presence even more if you’re letting yourself relax for the time that you’re home.

2.      That being said, be realistic about your tasks. If you know that you have two research papers and four tests the week after Thanksgiving, then set achievable goals for each day of the break. The fact that you don’t have classes to go to makes these few days a great possibility for productivity. If nothing else, you can use schoolwork as an excuse to get out of awkward family conversations.

3.      Do something that you haven’t been able to do during the semester. But don’t feel like you have to do everything. Trying to do too many fun things in a short period can be just as stressful as trying to do too many serious things. If there’s a book you’ve been meaning to read for months, start reading it. If you’ve fallen behind on Grey’s Anatomy, get caught up on the drama at Sloane-Grey Memorial. The joy you get from finally getting to do something that you’ve been putting off because of school will feel so great, you’ll even be able to deal with your aunt who insists on pinching your cheeks every time she sees you.

4.      Load up on home-cooked food. Um, hello, it’s Thanksgiving. Make the most of the delicious food that is always present during the holidays—mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie, anyone? And if you’re interested in helping out in the kitchen, check out my blog post on easy Thanksgiving recipes, since cooking is a (delicious) stress reliever.

So there you have it, folks. What do you do to make the most of your Thanksgiving break?

Tess is a senior English major at Georgia College, with a concentration in literature and a minor in French. She loves Bruce Springsteen, watching TV, matching pajama sets, baking, cuddling with her dog, and oxford commas. Her life goal is to marry Ben Wyatt and have the hair of a Victoria's Secret model. You can follow her on Twitter at @likeomgtess.