5 (Surprisingly!) Easy Thanksgiving Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Something that I find really irritating is when people jump straight from celebrating Halloween to giddily anticipating Christmas. Don’t get me wrong—I love Christmas. I love it a lot. But doing this entirely cheats one of the best holidays ever: THANKSGIVING! Sure, its historical context is a little sketchy (I’m lookin’ at you, Pilgrims.), but in modern years it seems more relevant to think about it as a day where we stop and think about what we’re grateful for. Plus, the food is off the chain. Don’t let the idea of Thanksgiving overwhelm you. College is the perfect time to start getting involved helping in the kitchen for the holidays, so that when you’re the host you don’t panic. These recipes are a great place to start, but don’t be afraid to put your own touch on them! 

Mashed potatoes. These are a Thanksgiving staple, and seriously one of the easiest things to make in the world. The key is using heavy cream to give them the perfect texture. Master these at Thanksgiving and continue making them throughout the year!

Green bean casserole. A comfort food classic. Like mashed potatoes, you can make this yummy casserole any time you’re craving a little extra comfort. Most of the ingredients are things that can be found in your pantry, and the rest of them are inexpensive, so you can make this even when your parents aren’t footing the grocery bill.

Sweet potato casserole. Any entrée dish that tastes like dessert is okay in my book! I know a lot of people prefer the marshmallow topping, but I think the brown sugar and pecan topping on this version are a little more sophisticated, and the texture is amazing.

Pear-raspberry tart. This is a dessert that seems so fancy and difficult to make, but it’s actually so simple (which happens to be my favorite quality in a dish). It’s lighter than the traditional pumpkin or sweet potato pie, which might be welcome after stuffing yourself with turkey and carbs. Store-bought puff pastry makes all the difference here, but the topping is so delicious that no one will pay any mind to your shortcut!

(BTW—check out some of the other desserts on that slideshow for other ideas. Martha Stewart knows her stuff.)

Pumpkin bread. My dad always makes this for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning, and it pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee. Or put a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream and some caramel syrup on top and it becomes a perfect dessert! This bread is as versatile as it is tasty.

Tess is a senior English major at Georgia College, with a concentration in literature and a minor in French. She loves Bruce Springsteen, watching TV, matching pajama sets, baking, cuddling with her dog, and oxford commas. Her life goal is to marry Ben Wyatt and have the hair of a Victoria's Secret model. You can follow her on Twitter at @likeomgtess.