jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Vero: Hottest New App or Biggest Crash and Burn?

If you haven’t been on the internet lately, you might have missed the latest social media network taking the app store by storm. Introducing Vero, a “true social media” platform. The app is marketing itself as a competitor to Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and Facebook, with some extra features the other apps don’t have on their own platforms. Vero was created in 2015 but recently rose to fame due to smart advertising at a time when many are frustrated with the Instagram algorithm change and Snapchat’s new look. Vero also credited the increase in use to members of the tattoo and cosplay communities migrating to a new platform. According to the Vero manifesto, the app promises an authentic experience because “most social networks reduce everyone to a friend or a follower. This encourages us to only share the parts of our lives we think are the most interesting. When you can control who sees what, you can behave in a way that is more natural, which we believe ends up being better for you.” This idea can be seen in the design of the app, where users have the option to choose between acquaintances, friends, close friends, or followers when it comes to who can see which post. This means that brands and social media influencers can still continue to reach a target audience while also catering to those they actually know. Soon after Vero started gaining traction, multiple Instagram influencers tweeted their links telling their followers to join. The only problem? Most people can’t even get through the account creation process. As quickly as Team members have apologized multiple times on Twitter.  As quickly as this app made its way to the top of the app store it’s already being deleted off of users’ phones. The app has caused some Twitter users to be skeptical. The app’s creator, a Lebanese billionaire, has also been getting backlash. Ayman Hariri is the son of a former Prime Minister.

Courtesy: Arabian Business

It has been reported that Hariri took over the family construction business and was forced to shut it down due to being $3.5 million dollars in debt from company mismanagement. This forced migrant construction workers to be left with owed money, no food, electricity, or medical services. Supporting a company with a CEO that has a bad background doesn’t sit well with people in society today. The app also has sketchy privacy terms and in order to delete your account, you have to request permission.  It may be an ad-free company now, but after the first one million users register, the app plans to add a small subscription fee. I don’t know about you, but the second that fee gets added everyone will probably flock back to free apps. Whether the hype around the app will last? Too soon to tell. In my personal opinion, just because an app explodes in popularity doesn’t mean people will stay with it, as seen with Peach (and if you have no idea what I’m talking about then that proves my point). If the countless lagging continues and a subscription fee is applied, people will most definitely navigate back to the free social media apps they know and (don’t always) love.

Malorie is a senior double majoring in Media Communications and Criminology. She loves anything pop culture, criminal profiler, animal, or food related. She lives for sarcasm and being witty.
Her Campus at Florida State University.