Letting Your Light Shine in a Dark World

People often think that my positivity is fake. They think I’m too innocent and that something is wrong with me because of how positive I am. But there’s nothing wrong with me. I am not naïve. Love and light do not mean subservient and uninformed. I know bad things happen every day, but when you’re a positive person, it means that you’re able to recognize hardship and suffering and remain positive in spite of all that. I remain positive because I get to be a ray of light among the darkness. I am that beacon of hope that people search for when things are looking down. When you give people that hope, it gives them a reason to keep trying. And by doing that, you’re inspiring them; you’re making this world a better place because you’re showing them that there’s still something worth fighting for in this life. You’re leading the pack to victory, and that’s what this life is all about – helping each other see the light at the end of the tunnel. Lifting each other up when we’ve fallen and cannot stand on our own. When you let that light shine through you, people will be drawn to it, they’ll be infected by it. The universe will respond to it. That kind of love will always bring people together out of the dark.

How sad is it that people are perceived as either ditzy or naïve for being positive? The media tells us that being optimistic is a curse that ultimately sets you up for disappointment. How awful is that? We’re teaching people that hoping for the best and wanting to put faith in others is a bad thing and that being secluded and extremely cautious is the only way to ensure the safekeeping of your personal belongings and yourself. That is no way to go through life. To live in a state of worry and loneliness is not living, it’s merely existing. Where is the love? Where is the hope? We should be teaching our children to trust one another, to depend on each other, to spread love and peace. Our world is falling apart. It’s filled with hate and violence, breeding seclusion and isolation. We should be standing together, trusting each other and leaning on each other to try and fix this, leading by example by accepting our differences and embracing the beauty each of them adds to our lives.

Sharing our hearts with one another and doing what we can to bring about change is something we should strive to do each day. Changing the world and preaching equality, peace, hope, trust and most of all love starts with you. You have the power to control how you affect others. The love you give out will spread farther than you can imagine. Leave everyone you encounter with more love in their hearts and positivity buzzing around them. If you can manage to do that and remain with just as much love in your own heart, if not more, then you have won. Do not give in to the negativity and the isolation society tries to force us into. Stand tall with those that struggle to stand on their own. Help them rise; let them know that you’re with them. You are heard. You are loved. There are people who will support you. We will fight against this evil. Love will win. It always wins.

Courtesy: Tumblr

Katarina is a senior at Florida State University studying Creative Writing with a double minor in Education and Communications. You can find her at your local library reading a good book or writing for her blog https://katarinamartinez13.wixsite.com/kmartinezreads As an aspiring novelist and content writer, she is always looking to spread love and joy everywhere she goes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.