Laura Durkalec: A True Go-Getter

Name: Laura Durkalec

Hometown: Tampa, FL

Year: Sophomore

Major: Media Communications

Her Campus (HC): Being involved on campus is quintessential for some people and it really helps make the whole “college experience.” What made you decide to get involved in Collegiate Merchandising Association and Clutch Magazine?

Laura Durkalec (LD): Clutch & CMA are unique campus engagement opportunities. A club with a fashion sister magazine was the perfect thing for me to get involved with. I love writing and fashion; CMA and Clutch is that ultimate combination.

HC: You’re a writer for collegemagazine.com, which is a great website. Are there certain stories or topics that you prefer to cover?

LD: I really enjoying writing articles that pertain to FSU specific topics — university guide, transportation, restaurants. It gives me an opportunity to let others see how great it is to be a Nole. 

HC: How has being involved on campus changed your college experience? Are there people that you have met that inspire you to keep working on everything you’re involved with?

LD: Staying busy is the spice of life. Being involved on campus allows me to always be working towards a goal. Working towards a common goal with fabulous friends that make you laugh and help you stick to the [plan] makes it worthwhile. 

HC: What would you consider an important aspect of being a writer for an online magazine?

LD: When writing online, you need to be short, sweet and witty. It gives the readers something fun to browse or intensely read. My writing style has definitely changed for the better. 

HC: Besides being active on campus, what do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

LD: Cooking will always have my heart. Whipping up yummy desserts is my weakness. 

HC: Who do you consider a huge influence in your career field?

LD: Any writer is a huge influence in my career field, whether you’re a well-known author or someone who publishes weekly columns in their local newspaper. Writing is a passion and anyone willing to work with that driven passion is a great influence to prospective writers. 

HC: What do you enjoy most about the communication industry?

LD: Watching and observing different cultures communicate is incredible. I currently have a conversation partner on campus who I meet with once a week. Teaching a West African native how to speak English is such a rewarding and fun opportunity. 

HC: I am really happy I had a chance to ask you this question: what advice would you give someone who is hoping to be involved on campus or looking for a new way to meet people on campus?

LD: Jump out of your shell and converse with everyone you meet. You never know who will have the same interests as you and direct you to a great campus organization. Hey, [you] might even become fabulous friends. 

Recent college graduate from Florida State University who decided to take my ambition to Atlanta!!
Her Campus at Florida State University.