Behind The Scenes of Courtney E. Carter Media

Name: Courtney E. Carter

Age: 18

Year: Freshman

Hometown: St. Petersburg, Florida

Major: Communications/Media Studies

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): What was your inspiration for starting your own YouTube channel? 

Courtney Carter (CC): I stumbled upon the Beauty Community on YouTube when I was 16 and thought it was just the coolest thing! I found girls who, just like me, have a huge interest in the beauty, fashion, and media industries. Beauty gurus quickly inspired me, such as Ingrid Nilsen and Bethany Mota, and thought, “hey, maybe I can do it too!” Next thing you know, CourtneyECarterMedia was born.

HC: Is it difficult to manage your time with CourtneyECarterMedia and being a student at FSU?

CC: Balancing time between the YouTube world and college life is tough! My subscribers mean the world to me, so I do my best to upload at least one video for them a week. I don’t want to let myself or my subscribers down, so I spend a lot of time and effort on filming, editing, and responding to messages. Making time for that on top of schoolwork can be a challenge, but anything’s possible with a planner and a plethora of to-do lists!

HC: What does CourtneyECarterMedia focus on and do you have any advice for others wanting to start their own YouTube channel?

CC: My YouTube channel focuses on presenting and bettering yourself in the best way possible with fashion, beauty, lifestyle, positivity, and fun! I cannot stress enough that the only reason for starting a YouTube channel should be because you have a passion for it. You’ll only get frustrated if you do it for the money and fame. If you’re really inspired to make one, I would suggest filming about whatever makes you happy, putting in a lot of effort, and just being yourself.

HC: How important is it for students to have a good sense of fashion in college?

CC: College is all about figuring out who you are, and I think finding your style and gaining a good sense in fashion comes with it. To those who don’t put in any effort and come to class in what they wore after rolling out of bed: if your professor can look presentable for class, so can you!

HC: What is your favorite style to wear for a day spent in classes?

CC: My style tends to be on the more classic and preppy side. I’ll usually wear a collared shirt, chino shorts or jeggings, boat shoes, and accessories of course.

HC: Now for some fun questions! If you could have coffee with anybody (living or deceased) who would it be and why?

CC: If I could have coffee with anyone, it would definitely have to be Kate Middleton! She’s one of my idols, seems like such a sweet lady, and I adore her sense of style.

HC: If you were to compare yourself to a celebrity, who would it be?

CC: Every single time I go into a job interview, someone always says I look like Gabrielle Union. I don’t really see it, but she’s such a talented actress, so I’ll take it as a compliment!

HC: Whom would you pick to feature as your Man Crush Monday and Women Crush Wednesday?

CC: The perfect Ryan Gosling is my Man Crush Monday, but it’s always unfortunate that Chuck Bass is a fictional character because I’m always searching for him. I’ve looked up to Tyra Banks practically my entire life, so she is definitely my Women Crush Wednesday.

HC: What is one fun fact that nobody knows about you?

CC: This is really random, but Orange Juice is my favorite drink ever! I’d drink it with every meal and snack if that were the norm.

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Her Campus at Florida State University.