Wear Purple for Domestic Violence Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Pink isn’t the only hot color this month – in addition to being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. That’s why women and collegiettes™ everywhere are wearing purple on October 19th to spread the word that abuse is not love

Domestic violence is a pattern of abusive behaviors — physical, sexual, psychological, and economic coercion — used by one intimate partner against another (adult or adolescent) to gain, maintain, or regain power and control in the relationship. Batterers use of a range of tactics to frighten, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, often injure, and sometimes kill a current or former intimate partner.

Think domestic violence isn’t something collegiettes™ have to worry about? According to Feminist Campus, approximately 32% of college students ae victims of domestic violence

Want to show your support? There are plenty of cute ways to incorporate purple into your wardrobe this October 19th.

Dress (Old Navy, $29.94) This dress is perfect for layering and transitioning into the cooler autumn months.

Tights (Modcloth, $14.99) Jewel-toned tights have staying power this fall – great for colorblocking too!

Pencil Skirt (H&M) In this classic cut, this bold color is still internship-appropriate.

Knit Beret (Old Navy, $10.50) Bed head? Tame your tresses with this cute beanie.

Circle Scarf (H&M) The most convenient fall accessory ever?

Nicole by OPI Nail Polish (Target, $7.04) Not one for bright clothing? Add some subtle shimmer with this polish.

Cashmere Scarf (Uniqlo, $47.00) Or you know, substitute a pashmina from a street vendor.

Will you wear purple on October 19th?

If you are in danger, please call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233 or TTY (800) 787-3224.

Click here for more on how to combat domestic violence in NYC.

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.