7 Reasons to Spend Valentine’s Day With Your Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Valentine Day’s might be a holiday designated for lovers, but there are other ways of celebrating. Perhaps you still haven’t found that special someone yet. The day is more about being surrounded by the people you love, not just in the romantic way. Spending Valentine’s Day with your best friends, for example, is nothing to feel down about. In fact, it can be even more fun – there’s less pressure, it’s more casual, you love doing the same things, and there’s no one else who knows you any better! 

Here’s why spending Valentine’s Day with your best friends would be a blast:

1. You can have Nicholas Sparks movie marathons.

You can watch The Notebook for the 1000000th time and your best friends will support you all the way. Who needs a boy’s shoulder to cry on when you can let it all out with your girls and not give a damn if your makeup is pouring down your face? There’s nothing more comforting than being surrounded by your besties while watching Allie and Noah’s unrealistic, heart-wrenching love story unfold.

2. There’s less pressure to dress up and make it a fancy event.

Who cares about having a candlelit dinner out at a five star restaurant when you can order in your favorite food from home while still wearing sweatpants? You’ll have to book your reservation way in advance to even be able to get a table. And who wants to deal with ridiculous long waits and crowds? Not to mention spending all your money on the perfect outfit for the assumingly “perfect” night with bae, when you can opt for your cute polka-dot pajamas instead.

3. You can binge eat chocolate and junk food together without any judgment.

Your best friends know your favorite snacks, and there’s nothing better than eating delicious treats while watching Nicholas Sparks movies on repeat. Talk about a perfect night. Plus, your friends won’t judge you for eating a whole box of chocolates by yourself. In fact, they’ll probably applaud you for it. With your friends, anything goes. And personally, I’ll take chocolates over flowers any day.

4. You can turn it into a beauty/spa night.

Everyone loves a good spa night. With your friends, you can make an event of of it by sharing your favorite beauty products and having a nail-painting circle. Wearing fluffy bathrobes and slippers while drinking wine together sounds like a good night to me. It’s a great way to relax, pamper yourself and catch up with each other. Best of all, you can wear facemasks and not have to worry about scaring anyone off :P

5. You can gossip about your exes and vent about your current love life together.

What girl doesn’t love a good vent sesh? Your friends are always there to listen, and they will without a doubt let you talk for hours on end about your past relationships or most current. They tell you the honest truth and give the best advice, and will always reassure you that you deserve better. Your best friends are your cheerleaders – they will support you no matter what.

6. You bring out your best dance moves together.

Whether you decide to throw your own dance party at home or hit the club, your friends will be dancing by your side giving it 100%. You can never unlock your true dance potential without them and they are always willing to belt out the lyrics to your favorite songs with you. Your best friends will never let you make a fool out of yourself alone.

7. Because your friends love you unconditionally.

Let’s be honest, your friends are the real true loves of your life. And you can tell them that you love them every day because its become so second nature to you. There’s no fumbling over the words. They know it, you know it, there’s no reading between the lines.

The day is about love, so spend it with anyone who is worth the time to create new memories with – even if that may not be a special boy!

Happy Valentine’s Day to all my lovely best friends! XOXO

Katherine Falzon (aka Kat) is a senior at Fordham University. Her major is Communication and Media Studies with a concentration in Journalism. A Jersey girl at heart, she spends her summers down the shore and enjoys playing the guitar, running, and writing for pleasure. Katherine hopes to someday make her passion of writing a full-time career. Curious to find out more about Katherine? Follow her on Instagram @kat_falzon