Maurice Jackson, ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Maurice Jackson has been a busy bee on Florida A&M’s campus since he stepped foot on ‘The Hill’  in 2010. His passions and die-hard work ethic are evident in each program, initiative and position he has taken by the reigns at FAMU. As a student at FAMU’s School of Business and Industry he has realized his place in the world thanks to his numerous internships and his experience abroad in South America. Her Campus briefly chats with the ‘Jack Of All Trades’ and gets the scoop on what led him to study at FAMU and more.

Major: Accounting Minor: Global Security

Classification: Senior, Fall 14’

Campus Involvement: Center For Global Security Scholar, Alpha Xi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated, Campus Ambassador for Harvard Business School, Student Government Association Attorney General

HC FAMU: What led you to choose to study at FAMU?

Jackson: My sister came to FAMU. My dad came to FAMU. Being the first person in my family planning to graduate I wanted to go to a school that would give me the best environment. I applied and got accepted to Howard, Morehouse and Florida State University. I went to Howard’s orientation and my mom paid for housing and I was enrolled there as a Journalism student.

My mom wanted me to go to FAMU and one of the orientations were coming up so I came up and I liked it and I decided to apply and got accepted within 2 weeks and [also] received a scholarship packet offering me 100%. I applied to FAMU as a journalism student and researched notable alumni at Howard and FAMU and decided on FAMU’s Business School.

HC FAMU: Would you say that being elected as a freshmen senator on FAMU’s campus motivated you to start a career in politics?

Jackson: Yeah, especially as a freshman. SGA was a big influencer for me at that time. At that time I was a representative for my class, I took it very seriously. I took it as a way to embody what a student leader is. It allowed me to network and [generate] discussions I would never have had. As far as making the transition, it definitely helped. Certain skills have transferred over into the professional world. It gave me the confidence that I needed to go for these other positions.

HC FAMU: Does your social life ever affect your studying habits? How do you balance it all?

Jackson: Life is about striking a balance. Without the social scene it would be difficult for students to graduate and handle the real world. You have to do it in moderation.

HC FAMU: How was your experience studying abroad on behalf of FAMU in Brazil?

Jackson: It was life changing. That single handedly might have been the most inspiring time in my life. Those 6 months in Brazil changed my outlook on life. I studied abroad with my girlfriend at the time. Seeing other cultures and realizing you’re not the center of the world [was inspiring]. I really got out of my comfort zone and that there was a lot to see. It ultimately helped me create my career path. I loved every aspect of it. It helps you see where you fit in, in this big puzzle.

HC FAMU: How many internships have you had since you’ve been at FAMU? Where?

Jackson: Three. PricewaterhouseCooper in Boston, Massachusetts, Independent Research Internship in Brazil, and a Congressional Black Caucus Internship in Washington, D.C.

-PricewaterhouseCoopers: (PWC; Boston, Massachusetts; one of the top four accounting firms in the country): marketing department intern, sat in on auditing, researched up and coming companies (checked potential clients, etc), sat in on Advisory, Auditing and Tax departments.

-Independent Research Internship in Brazil: conducting research on bio-fuel production and economic empowerment for low-income communities in Brazil (sugarcane ethanol; Brazil is a leading country in alternative fuel) and teaching children English.

-House of Representatives Internship in the District of Colombia on behalf of Congressional Black Caucus (Congressman Alcee Hastings of Ft. Lauderdale, FL): writing press releases, assisted and sat in on Rules Committee, assisted with staffing (taking notes on behalf of Congressman), assisted with creating the Congressional Caucus on Black Men and Boys (meeting speaking out about the Trayvon Martin trial in Florida).

HC FAMU: Would you say that maintaining a certain GPA is helpful in attaining internships?

Jackson: It is a priority. Your schoolwork is your business. If you’re serious about your career [it’s important].

HC FAMU: Would you rather have a job that fulfills you spiritually or financially? Explain.

Jackson: I want something that fulfills my passion. Dollar signs cannot give you happiness. Working with PWC it paid great, but I realized I’m not a cubicle kind of guy. I like to be social and I don’t like a mundane routine. You can’t put a price on a peace of mind.

HC FAMU: What is your philosophy on life?

Jackson: You can let FAMU make you or break you. You can be a young professional that knows how to have a party scene and when to get the work done. If you can’t balance now, you’re not going to strike it when you get to the real world.

HC FAMU: What would you say is your favorite part about being a student at FAMU?

Jackson: Hearing everyone’s story [of how they got here]. Seeing people overcome certain situations is inspiring and [helpful to me]. FAMU gives a lot of opportunities to students to change their financial status and family’s history. Being associated with people who are striving for a dream is great.

HC FAMU: What are your future goals within the next 3-5 years?

Jackson: My career goal is to be a Foreign Service officer. In that time span I’ll be graduating from graduate school with an MBA or a Master’s in Public Policy. That’s the goal and then I’d like to become a U.S. Diplomat traveling from country to country.