Eric Dulcil, ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Name: Eric Dulcil
Major: Political Science
Classification: Senior
Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Nickname: Ed
Zodiac Sign: Taurus

HC FAMU: Why did you decide to come to FAMU?
ED: It was a last minute decision, I am a musician. I wanted to attend [one of the following schools including] Manhattan School of Music, UCLA, and Prairie View A&M. FAMU [was where I applied] and ended up coming. I was [looking] for a music scholarship and looking at other schools [to pursue music].

HC FAMU: What do you believe makes you different from the average FAMU student?
ED: I think [what makes me different] is my international process. A lot of Black Americans have westernized through processes… I have a thought process that makes me different because I think internationally or globally. I think outside the box.

HC FAMU: With the upcoming release of CASUCS (Cultural Awareness. Social Unity. Community Service. Project Management & Collaborative Consulting) EP which features numerous local artists, spoken word artists, etc. we are interested on how you became a part of the CASUCS Movement.
ED: I was deciding whether I wanted to do music as a career or pre-law. I talked with Troy Harris and my friend Christian who was already a part of CASUCS. [Soon after] I started making beats, making rhymes and the rest was history.

HC FAMU: Why do you think CASUCS is a positive movement in Tallahassee?
ED: Music is a universal language. With the time and age of our school and the negativity in the press [in regards to hazing], we’re demonstrating our talents and using music as a positive thing [and putting out good music].

HC FAMU: Where does your passion for music and beat making stem from and when did you start producing beats and rapping?
ED: It stems from since I was a kid. Music has been my whole life I learned how to read and write music in 6th grade. I was in a marching band [also]. Music, beat making and production is about getting the money, music and beat making instruments to make beats.

HC FAMU: What do you believe is the art of producing beats and mastering the sound which you create?
ED: I think it’s the quality of the music. We’re living in an age where quality music isn’t the determining factor of success. [It’s about] finding the right audio engineers, working with a good creative team [which will ultimately] create quality music.

HC FAMU: Despite your minor in pre law, what strategic moves have you been accomplishing to spotlight your love for music and entertainment?
ED: I started my own music and entertainment company. With the company we’re trying to tap the entertainment industry as well as different industries [such as] graphic design, public relations and the film industry to try and get an out of the box approach to everything instead of just releasing mixtapes. [We’re doing things differently.]

HC FAMU: Who are a few of your favorite artists and why?
ED: Curren$y- [He’s a favorite because of] his independent take on music. He’s made a name for himself [in the rap game].
J. Cole- One of the newer artists who has caught my attention over the last 2 to 3 years.
Kid Cudi- Day N’ Nite was the first song I heard by Cudi. Kid from Cleveland. The way he has no fear in releasing his music; he inspires people to not be afraid to be real and explain how they feel through music.
All time favorites: Nas, Kanye and Jay-Z: they’ve laid the foundation of what I think of hip-hop.
Meek Mill- He has a very aggressive approach to music. Street element and he has a vicious [flow] he snaps.

HC FAMU: As a college student what outlets do you believe are best for expressing oneself and exploring who you are as an individual?
ED: Writing your thoughts, goals and ambitions reveals who you are. Going out and talking to people [is an outlet], we sometimes determine people by their physical appearance because we’re afraid of talking to them. But going out and talking to people could inspire us [to express ourselves].

HC FAMU: What inspires you to live with passion on a day-to-day basis?
ED: The beauty behind life [the] tragic aspect, an ugly view of how things are, it’s the duality, the good and evil behind everything. People [inspire me with their] capacity for human good and human evil. I’m inspired most by the people around me that struggle to make it. I get inspired by different [things such as] art. What [truly] inspires me is the capacity for human love and goodness and the passion of finding love in different avenues.

HC FAMU: Favorite inspirational quote?
ED: If you’re heart truly desires something, the whole universe inspires and helps you achieve it. The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho. 

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.