Fairfield Alumna Turned Blogger: An Interview with Kelly Larkin of Kelly in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

When I first emailed Kelly Larkin, I won’t lie I was nervous. I had been following her blog Kelly in the City for a little over a year now and so it was hard to imagine the she was a real person just like myself–with a much better fashion sense, of course! All the nerves slipped away when I received a friendly email back minutes later. Kelly was extremely gracious and frankly a little shocked that we believed her to be “celebrity” material.  This 2009 Fairfield alumna has taken a winding path of multiple careers in multiple cities to become a full time blogger who enjoys traveling, spending time with her husband and her dog Noodle and lucky for us collegiettes taking the time to answer my questions.

Her Campus: In your bio on Kelly in the City, you said that you originally wanted to be a reporter and I know you also became a middle school teacher in the Bronx so that begs the question, what made you want to get into blogging?

Kelly Larkin: Blogging incorporated everything I loved: writing, photography and fashion. I absolutely loved my time as a reporter, editor and teacher, but these positions didn’t necessarily allow for self-expression or serve as a creative outlet. Blogging filled that void, and provided me with a blank canvas to paint every night. It was the perfect way to unwind, explore interests outside of my profession, and remind myself that there was more to my life than work. It was also easy, in the sense that I decided what post every day. Sure, a lot of the content wasn’t exactly deep, but creating it was enjoyable. It took my mind off my troubles and helped me relax!

HC: What is something that you love the most about blogging?

KL: What I love most about blogging is the friendships that have come from it. In the beginning, I was under the impression that maintaining a blog would be a solitary hobby. And while it certainly requires a lot of work that I need to do alone, it’s also connected me with some really amazing people. I’ve met some of my best friends through collaborations, events, and the blogging communities in both New York and Chicago. I’m so thankful!

HC:  What does your process for crafting a blog post consist of? Are the outfits something you just happen to be wearing that day or do you plan ahead of time?

KL: Typically, I write about whatever it is I’m wearing that day, along with whatever it is I’ve been up to recently. (I love that my blog serves as a personal journal!) I also make sure to include original art, usually in the form of DSLR photos.

That said, I’m trying to publish more lifestyle-related posts this year, and cover topics like home décor, travel, weddings, pets, menswear and city living. I also want to start writing more personal pieces that are relatable for women.

In terms of the outfits, yes— they’re what I’m wearing that day. Though now that I blog full-time and am no longer with my husband/photographer 24 hours per day (we used to teach at the same school), I sometimes have to “save” what I’ve worn and shoot it at a later date. But my outfit posts always consist of looks that I actually wear. I strive to be as “real” as possible, as I’m pretty sure no one wants to see me play dress up!

I wish I could say that I plan these outfits in advance, but with the exception of brand collaborations that are on my editorial calendar, I really don’t. (One day, though, I hope to be that motivated and organized!) I draw inspiration from the city, Pinterest, other bloggers, and friends and family—and dress for the weather, my mood, and what I’m doing that day.

I actually think it’s pretty funny that I have a fashion blog, as I don’t necessarily have a great sense of style. But I have a love of style, and Kelly in the City has definitely helped me to develop and improve a personal one over the course of my blog’s existence!

HC: How do you keep your posts fresh and different each time?

KL: I keep an editorial calendar, and carry a small notebook around with me. You never know when you’re going to get inspired or come up with a post idea!

HC: What was something you didn’t expect from starting your own blog?

KL: That it could ever, ever turn into a full-time job. As I mentioned before, I launched it because I was looking for a creative outlet. It still blows my mind that maintaining my blog is what I do for a living. I’m not sure if I’ll do it forever, but for now, it’s a dream come true!

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

KL: In my free time, I enjoy photography, traveling, hanging out with my husband and puppy, exploring my new city, playing guitar, decorating, and writing fiction. I’m also obsessed with New York, so any chance I get to go back home, I take! A day in the West Village is pretty much my idea of heaven.

HC: I know that you recently moved from New York to Chicago so what is it like to be in a new city?

KL: To tell you the truth, it was very difficult in the beginning. I really didn’t want to leave New York, and I was nervous about starting over and making new friends. I also couldn’t imagine ever loving a city as much as I loved the Big Apple; it’d been my home for eight years, and I honestly thought I’d live there forever.

Fast forward six months, and I’m now happier than I’ve been in a long time. Chicago is an amazing city. It’s beautiful and clean, and it’s way less expensive than New York, allowing my husband and me to do more and live better. Life here is just less stressful. Chicagoans are also super friendly and welcoming! I know all my neighbors, for example. I also have a great group of girlfriends that I met through blogging. I now can’t imagine life without them! They’re the best.

HC: What is one of your fondest memories from Fairfield?

KL: I won the Arthur Riel Journalism Award my senior year, and my parents were beyond excited. They drove all the way from Pennsylvania just to attend the ceremony, and I was so touched by that.

HC: What is a piece of advice that you would give to the young women of Fairfield who are reading this?

KL: Every road has bumps. No life is perfect.

My 20s were a very challenging (albeit fun) time in my life. I was stuck between childhood and adulthood, and I was unsure about who I was and what I wanted. Life after college probably won’t be exactly as you envision it, but know that eventually, you’ll figure it out. Try to enjoy the stage, don’t get down on yourself, and don’t compare yourself to others. Commit to personal happiness and fulfillment. I loved college, but I love my current life even more!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.