Dorm Room Workouts: Get Fit Without the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Between studying for midterms, attending club meetings, and trying to squeeze in a nap or two, finding time to get to the gym can be a struggle for most collegiates. We would all like to stay in shape but after a long day of classes, nothing is more appealing than a few hours of McDreamy on Netflix and a comfy bed. No more excuses though ladies! This total body workout will give you quick and easy ways to fit some exercise into your daily routine without having to leave the comfort of your own room. You’ll be toned and ready for that crop top you’ve had hanging in your closet in no time!

Equipment Needed:

A yoga mat (or a towel if you’re not blessed with a comfy carpeted floor)

Desk chair

Cardio:

Jumping Jacks- 2 sets of 50

Every effective workout begins with cardio. It helps circulate blood to every part of your body while increasing your heart rate, meaning you’ll burn calories more quickly. 

Upper Body:

Tricep Dips- 3 sets of 10

This is where that highly underrated desk chair of yours comes in handy. Place your hands on the edge of the chair seat and place your feet out ahead of you with your heels on the floor and your toes facing up. Your legs should be straight. Bend your arms and lower yourself to the floor until your arms make a 90-degree angle, then push yourself back up to starting position and feel the burn!

Pushups- 3 sets of 10

Begin in plank position with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Lower your chest to the ground while keeping your hips and back straight. Bend your arms so that they are at a 90-degree angle at the elbow. Push yourself back up and repeat.

Abs and Core:

Russian Twists- 20 reps, 10 to each side

For this exercise you’ll want to put either a yoga mat or a towel on the ground for extra support and cushion. Sit on the ground with your feet about a foot from your butt. Lean back so that your body forms a V-shape. Place your arms out in front of your body and create two fists. Twist your torso to the right and touch the ground with your hands then repeat on the other side. To make the exercise harder, lift your feet a foot or two off the ground.

Reaching Wide Plank- 1 minute, hold each side for 1 count

Get into full plank position with your feet wider than hip-width apart. Tighten your core as you raise your right arm, lifting it up by your ear, palm facing in. Hold for 1 count, return right arm to ground, and repeat with the left arm. Continue alternating arms for 1 minute.

Lower Body:

Plié Squat- 3 sets of 10

Start with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and your toes turned outwards. With your upper body straight and facing forwards, bend at the knees until you’re at a 90-degree angle. Keep your knees aligned with your toes while you squat and all your weight in your heels. To finish, slowly push back to start position.

Standing Calf Raises- 3 sets of 20

For this exercise you’ll also need the desk chair. Start by standing straight up and gripping the back of the chair with your feet hip-width apart. Slowly raise your heels until you are balancing on the balls of your feet. Hold for 10 seconds then lower yourself back down and repeat.

Karolina is a senior at Fairfield University with a major in Communications and a minor in Professional Writing. A newly appointed style editor this year, she has a passion for all things beauty and fashion. Follow her on instagram @kaphrodite!
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.