Debunking the B*tch Face: “I Promise I’m Not Mad At You!”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If you have ever been told, “I thought you hated me” or  “Before I knew you, I thought you were so mean,” you probably suffer from B*tchy Resting Face (BRF). As someone who has heard these statements throughout her life, I can tell you we don’t mean to come across as rude or b*tchy. Most of the time when I’m sporting my “b*tch” face, I’m not thinking about the person I’ve just made eye contact with; I’m usually thinking about food, the TV shows I’ve missed, homework or my weekend plans.

On behalf of girls suffering from B*tchy Resting Face, I promise we are not mad at you. It’s impossible to always be angry or upset. So if you see a girl around campus who always has a mean look, cut her some slack. She is probably just in a rush to get somewhere. You don’t need to ask her if she is ok, 9 times out of 10, she’s probably fine. I can guarantee that she is aware of her “b*tchy” face and there is nothing she can do about it. Having “b*tch” face is not a choice; its just the way we were born.

To all the girls suffering from B*tchy Resting Face, wear your “b*tchy” faces with pride! The benefit of having a “b*tchy” face is that most people are too scared to mess with you. If you are in a public place, and don’t feel like talking to anyone, people tend to leave you alone. Embrace your B*tchy Resting Face because its what make you unique!  

I'm a senior Politics major with English and Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies minors. My passions include reading, writing, and Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. You can find me binge watching Netflix or loudly singing along to my newest music obsession.
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.