Champagne Taste, College Pockets: Makeup Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I have to admit it; I am a total beauty junkie! My makeup arsenal is filled with products from MAC, NARS, Makeup Forever, and more. However, as much as I love those high-end makeup brands, they are too pricey for my college pockets. That is when my search through the drugstore aisles for makeup dupes began.

Makeup can give a collegiette a lot confidence just like her favorite little black dress and a pair of killer heels can, so it is important to find those quality makeup dupes to save money while also maintaining your pretty polished appearance. After years of trying different drugstore makeup, I have finally compiled a list of my favorite pocket-friendly makeup choices to buy (might I add they are pretttttyy darn good!) instead of the higher end (don’t know if that’s hyphenated or not) ones:

Face Primer

Instead of: Smashbox Photo Finish, $36

Try: Hard Candy Sheer Envy, $8

Every makeup junkie has tried the infamous Smashbox Face Primer, but purchasing this pricey product is not friendly on a collegiette’s wallet, so try Hard Candy’s face primer instead. Comparing the two primers ingredient list they were pretty identical, making this an amazing deal!

Foundation

Instead of: Makeup Forever HD, $42

Try: Revlon PhotoReady, $13.99

Makeup Forever HD Foundation is one of my favorites, but also one of my priciest makeup products. That is where Revlon PhotoReady comes in. This amazing foundation is lightweight yet provides great coverage, and like the name suggests, makes your face look FLAWLESS in pictures.

Blush

Instead of: NARS Orgasm, $30

Try: Milani Dolce Pink, $7.99

NARS Orgasm blush has become a cult favorite, but if you want the same color payoff without breaking the bank, try Milani blush in Dolce Pink. This blush has a fair amount of gold shimmer and gives a nice glow, similar to NARS Orgasm. Beware if you have large pores stay away from this blush because the shimmer will accentuate them. 

Eyeliner

Instead of: Urban Decay 24/7, $20

Try: Prestige Total Intensity, $5.99

Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners have most likely been in a collegiettes’s makeup collection at some point, but if you do not have the budget try Prestige Total Intensity eyeliner. This eyeliner has the same creamy formula, color payoff, and staying power as Urban Decay’s eyeliner, at a MUCH better deal. The best part about Prestige’s low prices is that you can buy that funky teal or bright purple eyeliner that you have always wanted to try!

Mascara

Instead of: Dior ‘Diorshow’ , $25

Try: L’Oreal Voluminous , $7.29

Another amazing dupe, these two mascaras could be twins, both adding length and volume to your lashes! Personally, I think drugstore mascaras are so similar to high end ones, so I prefer saving money and purchasing fabulous mascaras like L’Oreal’s Voluminous Mascara.

Lipstick

Instead of: MAC Snob, $16

Try: Revlon Pink Pout, $6.99

Revlon ‘Pink Pout’ is almost identical to MAC’ ‘Snob’- yet another amazing dupe! This lipstick is the perfect every day nude/baby pink color to wear. Another plus, Revlon’s lipstick is half the price of MAC.

Also remember, with or without makeup the best thing you can wear on your face is a SMILE!

Mary is a Fairfield University senior majoring in Communication with a minor in Marketing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Fairfield, which she has been apart of since the launch in February 2014. Things that Mary can't live without: Starbucks, Gilmore Girls (Team Jess all the way), Instagram, statement necklaces and her dog. She also has a real weakness for avocado toast. Make sure to follow her on Instagram, @marystamp   
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!