5 Ways to De-Stress When Life Gets Crazy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

With second semester already halfway over and spring well on its way, work has started piling up and the anticipation of warm weather is lingering in the distance. There are a million and one things on the to-do list and there never seems to be enough time. Let’s be honest, with school, sports, and spring on the mind it can be hard to find time to relax. Here are some great ways to ease the stress when things get a little crazy.

1. Make a List

When you’ve got a million things to do sometimes it’s impossible to keep track of them all. Grab a pad of paper or make a note on your phone with all the things on your mind. When you see everything in writing it becomes a lot less overwhelming. Once you have your list, break it up into categories. Put the urgent tasks in one group and the less important things in another. Once you have a plan of attack you’ll feel prepared for what’s to come. This is the best way to make sure you aren’t forgetting anything. When you’re unprepared or forgot something you needed to do, you’ll become even more stressed! Add things to the list as they arise and cross off the tasks you complete. When you finish that ten-page paper and get to cross it off it will be such a relief!

2. Turn your room into a spa

Nothing calms me down quite like a spa day, but it’s not always easy to recreate that in a dorm room. Trust me, this will do the trick. Start setting the mood with some soothing music. Lana Del Rey, perhaps? Now, take a long hot shower. The heat will relax your muscles and the steam will open up your pores. Then, light a few candles. Try to find an aromatherapy candle that instantly relaxes you just by smelling it. Then, make yourself a cup of tea. I suggest one of the Traditional Medicinals brand teas that all have unique therapeutic qualities. My favorite is their “Weightless” tea that will completely debloat you in two hours tops. Last but not least, lay down with a Lush Fresh Face Mask on. They’re all made will fresh ingredients so you have to keep the in the fridge. The coolness of the mask on your face will feel super refreshing. “Cupcake” is one of my favorites because it smells like mint chocolate and clears up any little breakouts. A few hours of spa treatment will help you feel rejuvenated and calm.

3. Exercise

Everyone knows how important exercise is for your personal fitness and health but mental health often gets put on the back burner. Sometimes the pressure to work out can actually be stressful! Don’t kill yourself working out at the gym all the time. Do what you love! If you’re a runner, run to the beach. It’s a good change of scenery from staring out the glass window at the RecPlex. Tennis is great to let out stress and it’s always fun to play with friends. Going for a swim is a great chance to break out the swimsuit and do some laps. I’m a figure skater so when I’m stressed I go to the rink and let it out on the ice. You’ll get those much-needed endorphins by doing something you love to do.

4. Get off campus

Go anywhere. Being cooped up on campus for too long can be detrimental to your mentality. Get something good to eat, perhaps some good old-fashioned comfort food at The Grilled Cheese Eatery. It’s a trendy little café with a great atmosphere and rockin’ grilled cheese sandwiches.  I get The Frenchy or The California with the side salad – their dressing is delicious. Starbucks is always a sure fire way to put a smile on your face. Treat yourself to a Green Tea Frappuccino or try the new Vanilla Macchiato. It’s 100% worth the calories, trust me. If you have some money to spend, buy yourself something nice. I would head straight to Victoria’s Secret and buy a fun bra like purple cheetah lace. It will make you feel special and pampered. Especially with spring break coming up, a mani pedi is another great way to de-stress. Pick a bright color that will perk up your mood every time you check out your nails. The point is, getting off campus reminds you that you’re still a real person not just a college student. Just being reminded of that will make a world of difference.

5. Bake something

Literally bake anything. Whether it’s “slice and bake” cookies or a chocolate torte, when that timer goes off you’re sure to feel accomplished (and hungry). Putting all of your focus on making the batter will completely distract you from anything you have on your mind. Having a recipe to follow takes away all the thinking but gives you complete control of the operation. Put that beater on the highest setting and bake away. You can still do this if you live in a dorm! Go to your building’s kitchen lounge. You’ll have everyone who comes in to use the vending machine jealous and your building will smell amazing. Doing a project like baking is a great way to put your mind at ease while still being productive.  

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!