How to Stand Out to Your Professor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

College classes can be difficult, and it’s no surprise that part of that experience includes your interactions with your professors. There are a variety of personalities that you will encounter during your time at college and learn how to make the best out of every situation is a key method to surviving the four years. Standing out to your professor is a great way of establishing a relationship with your professors as well as staff members. In a small school like F&M where opportunities are given to those who are able to connect with professors, learning how to make yourself noticeable is an important part of the experience. Are you ready to learn how to stand out to your professor? Keep reading for our tips to find out!

How to Stand Out to Your Professor

#1. Speak Up in Class

It’s a proven fact that the more engaged a student is, the more a professor will take notice of you. Don’t be afraid to participate and contribute to class discussions. Ask good questions and be engaged! The classroom is not only a time and space for you to learn, but it is also an opportunity for your professors (and classmates) to get to know you.

#2. Be Cordial

Manners say a lot, so practice saying “hello” and “thank you” when you enter a classroom. This probably goes without saying, but that also includes when you see your professor(s) OUTSIDE of class! Be cordial and acknowledge them. Don’t forget that your interactions with your professors are not limited to the classroom experience.

#3. Go to Office Hours

If you really want to learn more about your professor and have him/her learn more about you, then office hours is the perfect way to go. Office hours are not strictly confined to a time and place to further discuss the content of the class. Think of office hours as an opportunity for you to talk to your professor and establish a relationship/mentorship.

#4. Come to Class Early

As the saying goes, “the early bird gets the worm.” Getting to class early is an indicator that you care about the class and is ready to learn.

#5. Sit in the Front of the Class

Last but not least, sitting in front of the class is definitely one way to catch your professor’s attention.

Gifs from giphy.com

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.