Health and Wellness Tips for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Prior to coming to college, everyone has probably heard of the fear of attaining the Freshman 15. If you are not an athlete or health enthusiast, then it might be difficult to maintain your health. With the changing seasons and the high probability of getting sick on a college campus, it is important to stay healthy and make sure that you are doing everything that you can to boost your immune system. Not sure how you can do that? Don’t worry because we have eight health and wellness tips for college students right here just for you!

8 Health and Wellness Tips for College Students

Tip #1: Try to get some exercise!

Exercising is an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Whether it be walking, biking, or simply going for a job every now and then, make sure that you are incorporating some form of exercise into your daily routine.

Tip #2: Try to eat healthy

It can be difficult to remember to implement a healthy diet with all of the food options that are available in the dining hall. Don’t forget to eat in moderation and make sure that you are getting all of your vitamins. Blueline is one of the perfect places to get your quick health fix.

Tip #3: Drink plenty of water

You need water to live so make sure that you are drinking plenty of water! In times of stress, dehydration will be one of your worst enemies.

Tip #4: Spend time with friends

Let’s face it – spending time with our friends is one of the best ways to relieve stress. It’s good to spend some time being social and away from the books.

Tip #5: Take some “me” time

In the midst of everything that may be going on in your life, don’t forget to take some “me” time. Your mental health is an important factor in maintaining your health.

Tip #7: Get some old-fashion sleep

Work on your time management and try to avoid pulling all-nighters. Try establishing a bedtime routine and get yourselves some zzz’s.

Tip #8: Breathe and take a break

Mental health is important. If you are stressed, don’t keep it to yourself. Vent to a friend, take a break from your work and walk around or go on a Sheetz run with a friend. It’s important to take care of yourself – especially your mental health. Don’t let stress get in the way of your life because at the end of the day, as much as all of your school work is important, your health and wellbeing is much more important than your grades. Consult the Student Health Services or speak to a counselor, HA, house dean or a professor if you need someone to talk to or if you think that you need to get help. Your well-being is important; don’t let college damage your health.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy.com

Cover Image Courtesy of BuffaloIsd.net

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.