Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Sex Can Help Ease Mental Health Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Like many aspect of mental health, the topic of sex can carry many social stigmas. There seems to be an assumption that suffering from mental health issues equates to having a low sex-drive or an inability to form healthy physical relationships with people. However, an overwhelming majority of us knows that this simply isn’t true. That is not to say that some mental health issues and medication don’t affect your choices to have sex or not to have sex, but unlike society likes to tell us, there is not one rule for everyone. Therefore, this article is to remind you of the great benefits sex can have on our mental health, and as always, why safe consensual sex continues to be a great pastime activity.

IT CAN CREATE A DEEPER EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL CONNECTION WITH YOUR PARTNER

Whether you’re in a relationship or not, sex enables people to make instanteous connections with the person you’re having sex with. For people in relationships, this can have a positive effect on your mental health as it enables you to be fully vulnerable with your partner and form new levels of trust and respect. If this is casual sex, you get the experience of meeting someone new and learning exciting new things about yourself and the other person.

SEX CAN EASE STRESS AND ANXIETY

A key reason why sex is so popular (other than the obvious physical pleasures) is that it releases 2 major hormones: dopamine and endorphins. Dopamine is a great hormone for focussing attention and encouraging motivation, whereas endorphins are natural pain and stress relievers; it’s a win-win situation here. Not to mention post-orgasm you also get a rush of prolactin, something which helps you feel calm and leads you into a fabulously deep sleep.

SEX CAN HELP MAKE YOU FEEL CONFIDENT AND BOOST YOUR SELF-ESTEEM

Whilst for some of us, the thought of being naked in front of someone we fancy fills us with terror, when you actually get down to it it’s never quite as bad as we expect- in fact it’s pretty good! Having sex with someone you really want to have sex with not only makes us feel good about ourselves, but also gives us a sense of achievement. To know that someone you fancy, fancies you back, is a pretty good feeling and sex is the helping hand here making that happen. Also, if both of you are paying enough attention to each other’s needs, there’s bound to be a few compliments flying about, so make sure you’re getting the most out of it! Lap up the glory and enjoy the ride (no pun intended).