This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

“When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man”

HCX were lucky enough to ‘viddy’ an advanced preview of EUTCo’s performance of the iconic ‘A Clockwork Orange’, and this visceral tour de force is one that can’t be missed! The play combines live music, physical theatre and media to create an immersive and innovative interpretation of the 1962 novel. The tumultuous journey of the main character, Alex, captured live on stage will leave the audience pondering the many issues raised within the plays for days afterwards.

The cast don’t shy away from the graphic content within the play, yet manage to capture these violent scenes artfully with original choreography. The physical dance pieces and live music place the audience within Alex’s mind, providing a tangibility to his psyche beyond what we gauge from the book or film.

Tom O’Kelly’s ability to capture the childlike malice of Alex’s character is uncanny. From the subtlety of his unnerving mannerism to the challenging carnal physicality of Alex’s suffering, O’Kelly truly brings every aspect of his volatile character to life. Alex is the archetypal anti-hero that you love to hate and hate to love.

The set design and scale of the production is impressive, managing to enhance the actors’ performance rather than distract from it.  Large scaffolding structures, along with mobile doorways, serve to enhance the choreography of the cast. Minimalistic props also add pointed symbolism to key scenes. Subtle costume changes have a large impact, and the overall effect of the set design is the creation of a banal, parallel universe.

A combination of original songs and recorded music served as accompaniment for the play itself, which add a new element to the narrative. You are on the edge of your seat as the music can go from eerily gleeful synth pop to sharp techno and electric in a moment, helping to set the disconcerting and surreal mood of each scene. At first it may be  hard to imagine songs incorporating effectively into A Clockwork Orange, but with the live band and the cast’s impressive vocal skills, they more than pull it off.

This production of A Clockwork Orange brings new energy and life to Kubrick’s iconic text. The plays ability to confront power struggle and issues of morality make shows like ‘Black Mirror’ pale in comparison. In short, the actors, set designers, choreographers and technical team have created a phenomenal, unforgettable show which will shake you to your core… and all that cal.

EUTCo’s ‘A Clockwork Orange’ will be showing at Exeter Northcott Theatre, 17 – 20th January at 19:30. Tickets are £15 (£12 for students), available from: https://exeternorthcott.co.uk/calendar/a-clockwork-orange/

Watch the gripping trailer here! https://www.facebook.com/eutco/videos/1827950123906475/?hc_ref=ARSJsrNtcvRtGMN7fZh-pgp1Bs5UowVgToOh_Ki_ivSU427_hzCnT7IjSjCz3jQHLEo

Currently studying English Literature. I was born in New York, but I call England home. Before starting at the University of Exeter I took a gap year. I spent 5 months road tripping and blogging my way across the USA, seeing 37 states in just over 16,000 miles. Needless to say, I love to travel. I am also an avid bookworm, a writer, a yogi, and a (lazy) hiker, among other things. I have a soft spot for bees, sci-fi, and red velvet cupcakes.