This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Here’s a super quick and easy DIY bracelet tutorial. As well as looking pretty cool, this bracelet saves money by upcycling a necktie. Take note, this tutorial assumes that you have a very basic knowledge of hand sewing. :) 

What you will need:

1. A skinny necktie – if you don’t have one lying around or if non of your friends/family are willing to donate one to you, a good place to look would be a charity shop- they’re really cheap and the old ties sometimes have the best patterns.

2. Interfacing

3. A sew-on snap fastener

4. A button

5. Scissors 

6. Needle and Thread

Method:

Step 1. Cut the necktie to a length that will fit around your wrist, with about 1inch overlap.

Step 2. Cut a strip of interfacing just shorter than the length of the tie and slightly narrower than the width of the tie.

Step 3. Feed the strip into the end of the tie.

Step 4. Turn the end of the tie to the inside, creating a hem. Pin it in place and sew along the hem.

Step 5. Sew on the snap fastener. The bottom part of the fastener should be sewn on to the front side of the tie, and at the straight end. The top part of the fastener on to the other side and at the pointy end.

Step 6. Sew the decorative button on to the front, pointy end of the tie. 

Step 7. Congratulate yourself and enjoy wearing your awesome new bracelet!