This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

We’re all familiar with the end-of-break blues: when you realize that all of the things you wanted to do while back home are left unaccomplished. To avoid running out of time to reunite with that sesame bagel from your favorite deli AGAIN, I’ve put together the top eight essentials to check off your “to-do” list when you go home for Thanksgiving break.

1. Spend a ton of time with your high school friends.

We all have some catching up to do! Time to finally tell your BFFs that story you promised you’d share with them over FaceTime, but never quite got around to.

2. …But don’t forget to spend that special time with your family too.

As dysfunctional as your family might be, you’ll be happy you got to spend that limited time with them while you could. Leave a couple of hours every day you’re home to climb into bed with your mom and watch bride shows on TLC.

3. Attend some events in your city or town.

4. Check out your favorite store’s new line of clothes. 

Now is your chance to get clothes from stores other than those at Point or in Lenox. Return to your favorite store and pray that the sales associates there still remember your name (I’m talking about you, Mixology).

5. Indulge in your city’s or state’s famous food.

Whenever I go home to NYC, no trip is complete without a sesame bagel with cream cheese and lox. No matter where you’re going, from Philly and their cheesesteaks to Chicago and their deep dish pizza, make sure you eat as much of that famous food as you can.

6. Cook something to contribute to Thanksgiving dinner. 

Try perfecting your signature Thanksgiving dish. Make sweet potatoes that are covered in marshmallows or stuffing that will leave you craving it throughout the next year.

7. Maybe—just maybe—don’t forget to hit up the gym. 

Thanksgiving is that one wonderful time of year where it’s not just socially acceptable but encouraged to eat twice your body weight. Make time to workout so you’re hungry enough to keep on eating leftovers all week long.

8. Don’t forget to make the most of every minute you have. 

Enjoy the time you get at home. Take advantage of each moment you get to share with your friends, family, and bed!

Cayla is a freshman at Emory University studying English and Media Studies. Her hobbies include editing photos of food and going on long walks on the beach. She can usually be found re-organizing her room, promoting gender equality, or talking about her amazing taste in music. You can follow Cayla on her Instragram @caylabam. 
Her Campus at Emory University