What We Can Learn About the Fashion World From The Devil Wears Prada

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If Devil Wears Prada isn’t one of your fave chick flicks, then I am hardcore judging you. Not only does this movie star incredibly talented actors Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway and has the hottest guys in it (Nate <3), but it also gives an accurate depiction of the fashion world. We are given an inside peek into the fashion industry- the good and the bad. Here are some things we can learn: 

1) People like Miranda Priestly do exist in the real world. It’s believed that the movie is based on Anna Wintour, Vogue’s editor in chief. Scary, but true. 

2) You must look the part. This is especially essential since it is the fashion industry after all. 

3) Your first job in the fashion industry will be at a desk. Accept it, and work hard. 

4)    Be informed. For example: know how to spell Gabbana. 

5) You will be doing a lot of errands that have nothing to do with fashion and a lot to do with your boss being hungry. 

6) Don’t complain- millions of girls would kill for your job.

7) …Even though at times you’ll have things to complain about

8) Fashion is inspiring.

9) Judgment levels are higher in this industry than most. 

10) Connections are everything. Fashion events are one of the biggest perks of the job, so make sure you have an “in.”

11) Details are important. 

“You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select…I don’t know…that lumpy blue sweater, for instance because you’re trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don’t know is that that sweater is not just blue, it’s not turquoise. It’s not lapis. It’s actually cerulean. And you’re also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent…wasn’t it who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And then it, uh, filtered down through the departmen stores and then trickled down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs, and it’s sort of comical how you think that you’ve made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you’re wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room from a pile of stuff.”

12) As with every job, your personal life may deteriorate if you are too consumed by your work. 

13) You will meet a sexy journalist through your connections and go to fashion week in Paris with him (JK, this one’s just the plot)

14) The fashion world is NOT for everyone.

Her Campus at Emory University