Upperclass Rush: Pros and Cons

Posted -

For those of you who haven’t been to the DUC or your Facebook Newsfeed in a while, Sunday was Bid Day. What does that mean? Screaming girls wearing matching sweatshirts hauling around massive (and, frankly, dangerous) Greek letters as they chant songs and make crazy shapes with their fingers and bodies. To others, it’s a rite of passage as an official college student or the start of finally feeling at home at college. For others still, it’s finding a group of girls where you belong.

I never really pictured myself as a sorority girl. I’m not necessarily bubbly or cheery and I left behind theme-altered pop songs at summer camp. Participating in Recruitment this year, however, was definitely one of the most memorable and rewarding experiences I’ve taken part in during my time at Emory.

For those of you who were on the fence about rushing a sorority and either feel as if you’ve missed your shot or still think it’s not for you, this is what I learned from my experience.

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Originally a New Jersey native, Emily now calls London, England home. She is a Creative Writing/English major and is a rowing, Grey's Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars enthusiast.