Tips for a Travel-Free Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

While some of us are going on exotic vacations during Emory’s spring break, many others of us are simply returning home. While catching up on sleep and relaxation are definite musts for any student on break, they aren’t the only activities you can do at home. In fact, home life can be just as fun of a vacation as going on a trip.

Eat a Home Cooked Meal

While this idea might seem basic, a home cooked meal is much more fulfilling after returning home than it was growing up. When you’re home, be sure to appreciate the flavorful chicken and veggies. Before you know it, you’ll be back to eating that ever-so-dry DUC and Cox chicken until May.

Visit Your Home Friends

Odds are that Emory isn’t the only college who has their spring break this week. Send a message out to your high school friends, even if you guys haven’t spent much time talking while away at school. You’ll be surprised by how much you’ve missed their company and the simplicity of a night at a friend’s house.

See a Movie

One of the downsides to living on a small campus is the lack of a movie theater nearby. Go and see that movie everybody’s been talking about, and, while you’re at it, get some movie theater popcorn, too!

Spend Quality Time with Your Family

You might not realize it, but your family misses you like crazy! Whether it’s a family meal, game night or just hanging out around the house, take a break from watching Netflix alone and spend some time with your number one fans.

Go to Your Favorite Restaurant

We all have that one place where we would eat at every week when we lived at home year-round. You know, the meal we’re always craving at school because nobody makes it quite as good as our favorite local restaurant. Go back to your favorite place and remember why you love it so much. Let’s face it: the employees probably miss seeing you there every other day. 

Explore Your Home Town

Whether you live near a big city or in a small town, there’s a good chance that there are some tourist attractions or just some fun places that you’ve always wanted to visit. Now’s your chance: while you have a free week to do nothing, 

While these ideas may not seem like the adventures of going on a trip, they can provide the recipe for a fun and fulfilling break. Hiding out in your room and watching Netflix all day might seem like the best option, but, trust me – these suggestions will help make your break a lot more exciting. 

Her Campus at Emory University