Rain or Shine (and Shine it Does)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

I’m willing to go out on a limb here and bet that I’m not the only person who’s looked out the window this week and thought “what the hell, Atlanta???” Seriously. Between the crazy heat, the insane humidity and the downright terrifying thunderstorms, I’ve had a hard time getting dressed in the morning. Because how do you look adorable when you’re dripping in sweat, your hair is frizzing out of control and you’re either cowered under an umbrella or soaked to the bone like a wet dog?

Admittedly there’s only so much you can do to combat these situations, but hopefully I can help (and then we can all look as fabulous as Cara). 

First, the heat: sadly, we can’t all go to class naked, even if that might be what we really want to do in this weather. Potential solution? Crop tops. Crop tops are still in full swing this season, and really there’s nothing you can put on as fashionable and as little material as a crop top is. But remember, you’re still going to class, so be attentive of the amount of skin you’re showing. If you are going with a full on crop, pair it with a pair of high-waisted shorts or a skirt that reaches above your belly button, because you don’t want to be that girl (and we all know what I’m talking about). If crop tops aren’t exactly your cup of tea, I suggest you try something that’s loose fitting because it doesn’t trap as much heat as something skin-tight does.

Then there’s the humidity. If your hair tends to frizz out of control with this type of weather, try an updo! Even just a ponytail can do wonders for your hair, plus, this way it’ll all be off your neck, which is infinitely cooler. Win-win, if you ask me. The humidity also does this awesome thing where it makes you sticky and disgusting at all times. I’ve found that a solution to the shiny face it brings are blotting papers! They soak up all the oils and moistures from your skin. It’s a lifesaver, I promise.

Finally, the rain. I don’t know if any of you have checked the forecast, but as far as I can tell, the downpours are here to stay. As much as the rain sucks, there are still ways to look cute! The first go-to in case of rain is the rain jacket. Finding one that’s lightweight, actually functional, and fashionable is, admittedly, a difficult feat, but I have faith in you! It’s taken me a while, but I’ve finally find one of my own that I am obsessed with at Uniqlo! Stores like Zara and H&M are also great places to start the search. Then we have our faithful umbrellas. My personal favorite is a clear bubble umbrella. They’re so adorable and you can actually see while you’re huddled under it. The only problem is that they don’t fold up tiny enough to go in a bag, so keep that in mind and make sure it’s worth the investment of dragging it around everywhere!

Now when Mother Nature changes her mind like a girl changes clothes (Katy Perry, anyone?), you’ll be well equipped to handle it! And hopefully the weather here in the ATL will start to cool down soon so we can start talking about actual fashion.

Her Campus at Emory University