Making Valentine’s Day Work Long Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

“But like, how?”

“Isn’t that, like, so hard?”

“Don’t you miss them?”

Distance, for the most part, is one of the most difficult things a relationship can face. For most couples, distance is a “make or break” factor, one from which only the few and far between come out victorious. If you’re in a long distance relationship, you’re most likely in it for the long haul. You’re doing it because you—dare I say—love the other person and couldn’t bear the thought of being without them (even if you’re only apart for the time being). There’s no need for extravagant, over the top gestures to prove to the world that you’re making this work and everything is fantastic. At the end of the day, it’s the little things that really are the big things. Simply putting in the effort to show your significant other that you care is what matters most. Even though you are hundreds or thousands of miles away from one another, it’s like they’re right there with you, making you feel like the most important person in the universe.

I’m not going to attempt to provide a set of criteria for “What to do on Valentine’s Day,” because each long distance relationship is completely different from the next. Some things I will provide are ideas and stepping stones that you can make into whatever works best for your individual relationship.

1. The USPS exists for a reason! Send love letters, a stuffed bear, or a care package that includes some of their favorite things. Photos of the two of you, a scrapbook, even a mix tape (if they’re into retro stuff like that) can make the distance between you seem much less significant. Make it very much about what the other likes, not a reflection of what makes you look like the best boyfriend or girlfriend ever.

2. Scheme with their roommate and plan a surprise visit. Make sure their schedule is clear, college stress won’t be too overwhelming, and that you’ll be able to make the most of the time you have together.

3. Postmates, Postmates, Postmates! Surprise them with their favorite meal and attach a note with a request for a facetime dinner date.

4. Do something together—whether it’s listening to music, watching your favorite movie, or eating a meal at the same time, togetherness is something that’s very important in any relationship. Bring up old times and significant moments the two of you have shared. Although you won’t be together physically, the miles seem to melt away when sharing in an activity.

5. Buy a gift that would entail doing something together once you’re actually physically together. Concert tickets, an outfit to wear on a nice dinner, a neck pillow for a flight home—the possibilities are endless. Get creative!

6. Postpone the romance if that’s what you’re into; postpone Valentine’s Day festivities until you plan on seeing each other in person. There’s no rulebook. Do whatever works for you.

I like music more than i like most people, I'd take death over decaf any day and I'm currently suffering from chronic resting b*tch face. Oh, and I'm probably the one in black.
Her Campus at Emory University