Gabbie Clark ’14, NCAA Division III Singles Champ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Every college student worries about finding down time. Between classes, homework, long meals with friends, and multiple extracurricular activities, where has the day gone? Adding Varsity sports to the mix can result in a hectic blur. Her Campus Emory sat down with Gabbie Clark, a junior in the business school, who told us what it was like to win the NCAA Division III Singles Championship, as well as how she finds time to do the other things she loves.

Her Campus Emory (HCE): Last year, not only did you win the NCAA Singles Championship, but you were also the first African American woman to do so. What was that like?
Gabbie Clark (GC): It was amazing. I still cannot believe I’m a national champion. I thought being the first African American female to win an individual title was so cool! I was surprised that it had taken that long because I know of so many talented African American players who came before me, but it is truly an honor to be the first.

HCE: How did you choose Emory?
GC: I liked that I could play on a strong tennis team and could obtain an undergraduate business degree. I wanted to be far from home as well as in a big city. Ultimately, when I came to visit Emory my senior year of high school, it felt right. I knew Emory was where I wanted to be.

HCE: How did you start playing tennis?
GC: My older sisters played and I wanted to do everything they did when I was young, so I followed. I was between six and seven years old.

HCE: What is the best experience you had on Emory’s tennis team?
GC: My best experience on the tennis team was going to Puerto Rico last year with the whole team for spring break. Nearly every day on the team is hilarious. I can’t pick just one.

HCE: What has been your biggest challenge?
GC: Staying injury free all season. My freshman year I was out for a few days and a few matches because of tendonitis in my shoulder. My sophomore year I sprained my ankle pretty badly. I’m hoping to have an injury free season in the spring.

HCE: Tell us some of the advice you’ve received.
GC: The most recent piece of advice I received was “Get better. Now.” A local tennis coach and friend of my head coach, Vance, said this at one of our practices last week.

HCE: What is the funniest thing the team has done while traveling?
GC: Almost miss our flight to Puerto Rico because we wanted breakfast.

HCE: Give us a run-down of your typical weekly schedule:
GC: Monday: class and no practice
Tuesday: class, team practice, home
Wednesday: class, team practice, home
Thursday: class, individual practice, team practice, home
Friday: no class, practice, finally get to see friends
Saturday & Sunday: practice and hanging

HCE: That sounds pretty busy! What tactics do you use to make sure you have time for everything?
GC: Time management. My days usually only consist of meals, class, practice, then homework. In my idle time, I choose to be productive in some form. It’s the only way to make time for everything.

HCE: Are you involved in anything else at Emory?
GC: I am the student coordinator for Project SHINE- Students Helping in the Naturalization of English. Emory Students volunteer weekly with students and adults in the Atlanta community who are refugees from various countries. Our role is to help the students with their studies, adults with the citizenship test, and to help them assimilate into American society. This year, I’m the student coordinator for Project SHINE, so I help organize administrative tasks concerning the sites where Emory students volunteer and the students in the organization. I found out about Project SHINE early last year through a flyer on LearnLink and thought it was interesting so I began as a volunteer.

HCE: What are you looking forward to about your Junior and Senior years?
GC: Living off campus, turning 21, meeting new freshmen each year on the team, and taking classes specific to what I want to do professionally.

HCE: Who is your role model?
GC: My mother. She is a successful partner at a law firm and very involved in the Chicago community. I want to be just like her.

HCE: What are your plans for the future?
GC: I’m planning on living in New York City after I graduate, or some other big city in the northeast.

HCE: Where is your favorite place to grab lunch at Emory?
GC: Dave’s Cosmic Subs is by far my favorite place to eat around campus. It’s incredibly underrated and, unfortunately, I don’t go enough.

HCE: What advice do you have for students juggling work, activities, and social life?
GC: Don’t waste time and make sacrifices. It’s the only way to stay balanced in all three.

HCE: Anything else?
GC: I think there is a lot of spirit and support among the athletes. I always see other athletes at my tennis matches and the other sports games I go to. Come support the Emory Women’s Tennis Team!

We definitely can’t wait to see Gabbie and the rest of the tennis women in action in the spring! Keep up with the team on the Emory Athletics website and be sure to support them in their home tournaments at the courts next to the WoodPEC.

Her Campus at Emory University
Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).