The Freshmen Files: What to Wear at Emory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

With the billion things to figure out as a freshman, what to wear shouldn’t be on your list. This goes out to all the freshies-  I got you covered. Here is your ultimate guide for what to wear on every occasion at Emory. You’re welcome. 

Class:

Since it is the beginning of the year and classes have just started, start off strong. Wear all the cute outfits you’ve worn at home a billion times but nobody here has ever seen. This means jean shorts, sandals, skirts, tanks, and since this is the south – sundresses. And if you are from New York, maybe even your LF sale purchases. It is essential that you have sunglasses on you at all times because #hotlanta. As the year goes on sweatpants become more and more acceptable (see finals). Leggings can be pulled off if you keep the look from getting too sloppy. Of course, you don’t have to listen to this advice, but when you see that hot frat star and you’re in last night’s pajama pants, you’re going to wish you had. When it gets a little cooler out jeans, a sweater, and boots will suffice. Emory students are also known to wear gym clothes all day regardless of what time they are working out, sometimes even if they aren’t working out at all. This may work for you if you are comfortable in front of your professor in skin tight lulu’s- your call. 

Maggie’s:

Anything goes. Since Mags is the end of the night scene, people are coming from all different places wearing all different things. People have been spotted wearing dresses and heels, togas, or even a SpongeBob costume (this may or may not have been me). During the process of walking back and forth to the front and back of Mags, beer will be spilled on your outfit at some point, and there is never a time when you will leave Mags not smelling like an ashtray. With this said, you may not want to wear your new expensive top at the risk of having to explain to mom what happened to it. 

Frats:

Even though you are just standing around in a dirty house, you should look good. Dresses are a little much for frats unless you are going somewhere nicer afterwards. If not, stick with dressy shorts, jeans, flowy tanks, and occasionally skirts. A small purse is recommended, one big enough to hold the essentials aka IDs, room key, phone, and gum. I’ve found that ones with long straps are least likely to get lost. Whip out the heels and know how to walk in them because you will be walking. Your feet will be blistered and sore, but just think of it as training for when you have to walk further than Fevans. 

Date parties:

If you are one of the lucky ladies to be asked to a date party first semester, you better stock up on dresses because you are going to run out of new things to wear to other future events, dances, and formals. Dresses or rompers are the way to go on this occasion. If you are looking to go Greek and think there may be some sorority date parties or formals in your future, save your classier dresses for these. Date parties are the best excuse to look as hot as you possibly can, so take advantage of this opportunity. Heels are again a must, but take the height of your date into consideration (kinda like prom).

Finals:

Finals week is otherwise known as no jeans allowed week. Studies have shown that there is a 0% chance that anyone wants to sit in a library studying all day in jeans. Break out your juicy sweats, leggings, big sweaters, and Ugg slippers. This is your finals uniform. Finals are also a great time to sport all the Emory apparel you bought at the bookstore that may not make its way into your usual weekly wardrobe. Comfort is key, and everyone will look as sloppy as you. If they don’t, they are a freshman that hasn’t read this article. This is the only time of the year when Econ is more important than rocking a cute outfit. 

Hope this helps! If you didn’t find what you were looking for- you could try Sears.

Her Campus at Emory University