ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Freshmen Files: How to Pack Up Your Dorm For Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It seems like just yesterday that you arrived on Emory’s campus, unpacked your boxes, kissed mom and dad goodbye, and began living dorm life. But just like that, it’s already time to move out again and head back home for the summer. If you’re like me, and you live on the opposite side of the country, you definitely don’t want to schlep all of the stuff you’ve accumulated this semester back home. So instead of paying to store items that you don’t want anymore, combine the packing process with a little spring cleaning. Here are a few tips to help you decide which items to keep or toss.

Keep your favorite clothes, items that are still in style, and things with sentimental value.

Toss any items with irreparable damage such as broken zippers, or tears. If you’re really attached to the item, head to a dry cleaner ASAP to see if they can fix the item.

Donate or Sell items that you don’t wear or one’s with minor damage such as a small stain. During finals, Emory will have donation bins placed around campus so that you can put your unwanted items to good use.

Store seasonal items such as heavy winter coats, wool sweaters, and corduroy jeans. Chances are you’re going somewhere with a warm climate and you won’t be needing these bulky items back home. However, be sure to pack a few pairs of leggings and jeans for home just in case the temperature unexpectedly drops.

Take Home most of your summer clothing and anything sentimental that you couldn’t bear to lose. If like me you’re heading back to California, you’re definitely going to want all of your favorite shorts and sundresses for the summer. 

Her Campus at Emory University