Feminists in Action President Lindsay Falkenberg ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

I need feminism because…you finish the sentence. Meet Lindsay Falkenberg,’15, president of Feminisists in Action (FIA), the group on campus who sponsored the ‘I need feminism because’ campaign, as well as others. A Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies major from OH, Lindsay has aimed to make sure Emory is aware of issues regarding gender inequality. So get to know this week’s celebrity!

Her Campus Emory (HCE): What is Feminists in Action?

Lindsay Falkenberg (LF): Feminists in Action is a student group fostering dialogue around gender issues and mobilizing community action in support of gender equity. FIA is advised and supported by the Center for Women at Emory. All members of the Emory community regardless of gender, age, or position are welcome to join us every Wednesday at 5:45 in the Center for Women.

HCE: How did you become involved in the group?

LF: I became involved in the group last year while I was taking Dr. Holloway Sparks’ course “Sex, Power, and Politics.” I wanted to explore and work on gender issues outside of class, and Feminists in Action was an ideal outlet for that.

HCE: What events does the group sponsor throughout the year?

LF: We kicked off the year with our “Who Needs Feminism?” campaign. Check out the photos here! We posted the signs around campus to encourage people to think beyond the stereotypes of feminism and focus on the diversity of issues addressed, perspectives held, and work done by feminists. We wanted to start a discussion about how they are relevant to our lives today.

Earlier this week we sponsored a Café Unity open mic in Common Grounds. People shared poetry, prose, and music around the theme of “HERstory” (a play on History), encouraging women to tell their own stories. 

Every week, a member leads a discussion on a topic of their choice. Past topics include women in religion and the role of media in the Steubenville rape case. This for me is the core of the group: individuals coming together for an hour or so each week to talk about issues that matter to them, to think and feel through events and ideas together.

HCE: What have you accomplished/ hope to accomplish as president?

LF: I’ve been very proud of the level of campus collaboration we engaged in this year. Among other projects, we co-sponsored the Bra Chain Campaign with Sexual Assault Peer Advocates, supported TEDx featuring Lynne Huffer, and worked with the Office of Religious Life to put on this week’s Café Unity. When groups’ interests align in a project, we can be so much more effective working together. I’ve been inspired by how other groups have reached out to us or have responded positively when we’ve reached out to them.

I’m also very proud of the space and community FIA has created. At the beginning of each meeting, we “check in.” Everyone takes a moment to share how their day has been and how they’re feeling. When students are rushing from classes to meetings to practices to homework, it’s valuable and healthy to take a moment for such reflection. FIA is a space for exploring ideas and sharing perspectives and opinions. I always walk in relieved to have an hour to talk with others in depth about things I care about and leave knowing I have grown from listening to my peers. It’s a unique, welcoming, and energizing space.

HCE: What do you hope people take away from learning about Feminists in Action?

LF: Specifically regarding FIA: FIA explores more than issues of gender and sexuality. We talk about race and class and governments and history and systems. I don’t think you can adequately explore one without the others. Our discussions and projects are varied and many, and we’re always open for new ideas.

More generally: I think it’s important to have a space to do things you find important with people you respect and who respect you. This could be a sports team, a religious organization, or something like FIA. What do you value? What are you passionate about? Are you doing enough of it in your life? Are you finding other people to do it with? You owe it to yourself to find, and if need be, to create those spaces, for they are the spaces from which communities grow. Few things are more powerful than a community with a passion, and few things are more empowering than being part of one.

Her Campus at Emory University