Style > Beauty

5 Steps to Spruce Up Your Spring Beauty Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Back in January, I thought that a 70-degree day in Atlanta would never come back. Every time I stepped outside, I was bundled in multiple layers and my skin was constantly parched—no matter how much moisturizer I slathered on. But last week, we were welcomed back from Spring Break with gorgeous weather and my skin didn’t feel like it was being attacked by the wind chill anytime it wasn’t covered. As tough as it was to leave the beach behind, at least most of us came back with a killer tan. Sadly, it’s inevitable that the glow that you gained over Spring Break is going to fade. Here are 5 products to brighten up your spring beauty routine and help you transition into summer (à la Alexa Chung who has the whole minimal make-up, bright lip look totally down). 

1. Skin: Exfoliate + Hydrate

Unless you get regular peels, chances are your skin is feeling a little bit rough after the past semester of cold. The best thing you can do to get radiant skin is to use a gentle exfoliant 2-3 times per week and hydrate during both day and night. During the day, I mix my liquid foundation with SPF moisturizer to protect my skin from the sun and keep it looking fresh and dewy. At night, use a hydrating cream to keep your skin feeling smooth.

Scrub: Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub ($6.99 at Target)

Nighttime Moisturizer: Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel Cream ($56.00 at Nordstrom)

Daytime Moisturizer: Aveeno Positively Radiant SPF 30 ( $12.15 at Target)

Liquid Foundation: Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15 ($48.00 at Nordstrom)

2. Face: Highlight

During the winter, it’s nice to use bronzer to supplement the lack of sunshine and color you receive. In the Spring though, you’re becoming naturally tanner and putting on too much bronzer could leave you looking like an Oompa Loompa. Instead, opt for a highlighter that you can layer with your foundation. You place it the same places that you would put bronzer: bridge of the nose, top of your cheekbones, and along your collarbone for a slight glow that looks completely natural. It’ll look like you just came back from Spring Break at a tropical beach (even if you didn’t).

Highlighting Balm: Topshop Glow Highlighter in Polish ($16.00 at Topshop)

3. Lips: Bright Poppy

Poppy is this season’s “it” color if you will. It’s a bright, intense shade that’s a perfect cross between a red and an orange and it’s extremely flattering. I use it during the day and at night for a fun pop of color to spruce up my look. Make sure to exfoliate and moisturize your lips before so that the lipstick goes on smoothly, stays in place, and you don’t end up looking like a clown.

Lipstick: Topshop Lips in Infrared ($12.00 at Topshop)

4. Nails: Pastel

It might seem cliché but pastel colors really are perfect for this time of year. They’re a super fun way and easy way to brighten up your look without making you look like an Easter egg. Essie makes the best pastels in my opinion and they have everything from the perfect sparkly periwinkle to an opaque baby pink to an iridescent lilac.

Pale Blue: Essie Bikini So Teeny ($8.49 at Target)

Light Pink: Essie No Baggage Please ($8.49 at Target)

Lilac: Essie Using My Maiden Name ($8.49 at Target)

Mint: Essie Mint Candy Apple ($8.49 at Target)

5. Eyes: Dare to go Bare

I always lighten up my beauty routine in the Spring and Summer because I feel like there is something extremely refreshing about walking around with minimal to no makeup. My eye routine is usually the first thing that gets cut when the weather turns warm. Usually in the winter, I opt for a warm eye shadow with black liner. In the Spring though, I opt for completely bare lids and use just a touch of mascara to make me seem more awake.

The Best Mascara: Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Mascara ($29.00 at Nordstrom)

Her Campus at Emory University