5 Realizations Every Freshman Comes to in Her First Month of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

In the past month that we’ve been here, we’ve learned that an hour and fifteen minutes is a really, really long time to sit in a class. We have also learned that college papers certainly do not write themselves… But outside of our schoolwork, we’ve definitely managed to learn a little about Emory life itself. Here are just a few things that every freshman has discovered in these first four weeks:

1.     The Freshman 15 is SO Real

It’s 2:30 AM, you’re starving, so inevitably you find yourself at Zaya’s about to order some variation of french fries, chicken fingers, and hummus. Even though you promised yourself before you went out that you weren’t going to do this for the third night in a row, someone you’re with is definitely not on the same page as you. You remember you made this promise to yourself, and you’re fulfilling it while simultaneously saving the $10 Dooley Dollars you have left on your card for a half-salad half-sandwich combo at Highland Bakery. And when all the other boxes of food arrive at your table, you decide to compromise — one french fry won’t hurt, right?

Yeah, you only had one french fry. Sure, we believe you. We only had one french fry too.

2. OPUS and EmoryUnplugged: Your Worst Enemies

If you were wondering how much could possibly go wrong in a 15-minute registration time slot, OPUS quickly resolved your curiosity with four letters: a lot. After losing your EmoryUnplugged connection (and, consequently, losing your spot in all of those perfect post-lunch classes), you tried to calm yourself down as you discovered that you’d be waking up for 8 AM classes all semester. You soon realized you had an entire week to add/drop/swap into some later classes – you would be totally fine. WiFi continued to disconnect you over and over again as you tried to swap into some classes you could actually keep your eyes open for. Then you found out the blatant truth about the wireless system here: the only thing that’s “unplugged” in EmoryUnplugged is the wireless router itself.

3. Social Freeze? What’s That?

After months of waiting, you arrived at Emory ready to begin a new life— both academically and socially. Of course, the social aspect meant figuring out your Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. So, naturally, when you sat through your first part of orientation and found out that Emory puts students on social freeze so they can watch their friends at every other school Instagram Football Saturdays while discussing all the frat parties they weren’t allowed to go to, you were pretty annoyed. After about one night of trying to figure out what you’re supposed to do as a college freshman banned from frat houses, you learned that rules are meant to be broken. Need I say more?

4.  Free Stuff.  Always.

It all started at the Activities Fair – every club seemed to get you to sign up for its mailing list by handing you a life changing ice pop from King of Pops or #Emory2018 sunglasses, and some even went as far as handing out shot glasses. You then moved on to find free Blue Donkey Iced Coffee being handed out in Asbury Circle—no long line to wait in to pay, no problem. Customized Coca-Cola? Count me in. Manicures in Barnes and Noble? Absolutely— who needs a spa anyway?  And when someone brought you to the sad realization that someone’s actually paying your tuition here and this “free” stuff was a little more expensive than you thought it was, you casually blew off the comment. Free…Emory tuition…I mean, it’s all interchangeable these days.

5. Football Schools? So 2013…

You, along with everyone else who chose Emory, have probably been judged by just about everyone you know for choosing a school with “no school spirit.” Sure, you probably considered going to a Big Ten where you’d get to dress up head to toe in college apparel and take 100 photos all day (and of course be guaranteed a new profile picture). But once you got to Emory, you realized that Emory does possess school spirit, just not in the typical way: Songfest, Farmers’ Market Tuesdays, Wonderful Wednesdays… the list goes on and on. To be honest, I’d choose being able to enjoy Blue Donkey iced coffee every Tuesday over cold, confusing football games any day. Anyway, we have an undefeated football team here — no one else can say that, can they? 

This list may have only five realizations, but before we know it, it’ll take forever to scroll to the bottom. It’s been an amazing first month of discovery and there’s certainly more to come.

Her Campus at Emory University