4 Looks from NYFW to Add to Your ~Professional~ Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s no secret that the season’s newest trends are fresh off the runways from New York Fashion Week. As society evolves, the relationship between form and function in the world of fashion becomes more and more relevant. How can we incorporate current trends into our everyday wardrobe? This question becomes even more pressing when preparing for career fairs and interviews, and often times we opt for the safe option instead of wearing something that shows other people who we are, for the sake of ~professionalism~. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t rock what’s in for the season without maintaining a polished, professional look! Here are four of the top trends from New York Fashion Week to take from the runway to your next interview:

1. Ruffles

Ruffles are great for many reasons, the most important being that all you have to do is let them speak for themselves. This comes in handy on the days when planning your outfit is the last thing on your mind: essentially, ruffles will work so that you don’t have to, and you can concentrate on the stuff that matters (like slaying your interview). Ruffles also offer a balance of femininity with playfulness, and there are so many ways to wear them.  

H&M Ruffled blouse, $49.99

2. Coral

Who said orange is unwearable? This shade is a fall favorite because it still offers a lovely dash of color without screaming “SUMMER!” at you from a mile away. Even better, it works so well against greys and tans, which are staple fall colors regardless of whatever statement trends are in fashion.

Zara Flowing cape top, $25.90

3. Florals

We all learned from The Devil Wears Prada’s Miranda Priestly that florals—for spring, at least—are groundbreaking. As it so happens, they’ve become something of a fall trend as well. Florals work extremely well in the fall season (and even the beginning of winter, honestly) because they break up the monotony that is the sea of greys, blacks, browns, and the occasional Bordeaux reds. Try a pair of floral pants with a plain blouse. Be bold!

Zara Floral print blouse, $39.90

4. Ankle boots

Down with ballet flats, I say! There is absolutely no reason that you can’t have fun with footwear in a professional setting. Shoes are so important in fashion for a reason: they are the most versatile means of self-expression. (If you need proof, just put ‘Christian Louboutin’ or ‘Charlotte Olympia’ in your Google search bar. You’ll see.) Anyway, ankle boots work great for the office because they offer a more edgy look while still also looking polished and classy. Plus, if you’re like me and your feet are always cold, they’re super cozy.

BCBGeneration Ankle Bootie, $98.00

Fall is the trickiest season to dress for, and it gets even more challenging when you’re confronted with a situation that has a certain dress code. That doesn’t mean self-expression is out of the question. So don’t be afraid to have fun with your wardrobe this season, no matter where you are!

living colorfully since 1995.
Her Campus at Emory University