11 Stages of Painting a Cooler When You’re Artistically Challenged, as Told by Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If you’re headed to a frat formal and are one of those that’s been artistically challenged since the womb, then it’s probably fair to say that the thought of having to make a cooler for this event is significantly worse than the idea of your upcoming final exams. In the midst of trying to find some trendy bathing suits, work on your beach body to show them off, and get some studying done in advance, you’re now also tasked with becoming a professional artist. If you think you’re the only one struggling, I’m here to tell you that you’re definitely not alone. In fact, your FRIENDS know exactly how you feel as you embark upon this process. 

1. You’re asked to formal and your date tells you he’ll need you to make a cooler for the weekend. You’re close to saying you just won’t attend, but you realize you don’t want to miss out on potentially one of the best weekends of the year.

2. You try and think of a time an art project went well for you so you can motivate yourself to get started. Unfortunately, that doesn’t work out so well.

3. Your friends begin to question you as to why you haven’t gotten started on anything even though formal’s just a few days away. You don’t have much of an answer to give them.

4. Then, when you try to recruit them for help, they’re too busy focusing on designing their own coolers to help you with yours. Major SOS.

5. You decide you’re just going to get started, go with the flow and get painting, but the result is pretty horrific. 

6. …And even with time, it doesn’t seem to be getting much easier. 

7. Nevertheless, you’re ready for a well-deserved stress-eating break.

8. You begin to feel like you’re in one of your darkest periods. It pretty much seems like getting this done is going to be impossible. 

9. You think you finally made some progress, but when you ask them if they think it’s good, they seem pretty reluctant to give you any sort of validation. They clearly don’t view your artistic talent the same way you do.

10. But, after a few sleepless nights, you somehow pulled it together. Hey, it might not be a Picasso, but it does the job. 

11. After endless hours of stress and hard work, it’s time to take your cooler with you and have some fun at the beach. You deserve it!

Her Campus at Emory University