The Top Trends for Spring 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Now that there are finally visible patches of dead grass scattered across campus, I think it’s safe to say that spring has arrived. ‘Tis the season of outdoor cafés, walks along the Charles River, hanging out on the quad, and putting the knee length puffer coat in the back of the closet until next winter. I know for me at least, that puffer coat was my barrier against the outside world, because underneath, I was wearing my grandma’s old sweater and a pair of sweatpants. But, with the coming of spring, I’m sure we’re all feeling a bit more optimistic about putting together our outfits. Everyone at Emmanuel has their own unique style. Here are a few trends to incorporate into everyday fashion that can be tailored to your personality:

1. Monochromatic Color Schemes

Monochromatic means using only one color or all different shades, tones, and tints of one color. If this idea scares you, start with neutrals like caramel, white, blush, and grey. A monochromatic outfit will stand out among prints and still do your figure justice. It will elongate your body instead of splitting it into parts like a pair of dark wash jeans and a yellow (a trending color this season) blouse would do. Keep in mind that softer colors are on the Pantone Fashion Report for spring 2015.

2. Suede

Suede is one of the trending materials for spring 2015 and dresses, bags, shirts, pants, shoes, and jackets seem to be on the agenda. This style can incorporate fringe, different colors, and seamless edges for a clean, simple look. If you feel like a suede dress looks too bulky, add a belt around your waist to highlight your waist. Also, another tip is to tuck your shirt into suede pants to avoid the lumps and bumps it can form.

3. Straps on Shoes

Accent pieces like these are extremely versatile and the amount of shock factor is up to you. Incorporating straps into an outfit can be as simple as a classic ankle strap on a pair of heels to more complex gladiators that lace all the way up to your knees. What’s great about the single strap heeled shoe (white is in style) is that it can make your legs look longer. If you have trouble finding the right gladiator sandals for your body, opt for a pair that has a vertical strip up the front. This elongates the leg. Also, colors close to your skin tone are very flattering.

4. Small Prints

Be sure to incorporate animal prints into your wardrobe this spring. Jelly fish, chameleon, and other unique animal-inspired prints are in style. So don’t hold back from patterns you happen to stumble upon. Another popular print is gingham. It’s a small checked, woven linen that has appeared and reappeared throughout the history of fashion since the 1600’s. It’s perfect for dresses, skirts and shirts because it’s so easy to style. Gingham jackets have also appeared on the runway recently.  

5. Denim

Denim is a timeless, all American fabric that is incorporated into many different styles from Daisy Dukes shorts, to a pair of ripped punk rock skinny’s, to “mom jeans”. If you’re in the market for denim this spring, keep a look out for simple denim. This means no holes or scratch marks. Also, denim overalls, dresses, and flared jeans are definitely a staple  this season.

I hope you’ve found these tips helpful. Good luck putting together your spring wardrobe!

Emmanuel 2018
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.