Tips & Tricks for Transfers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Transferring schools is no cakewalk. It requires a lot of work, decision-making, and change. It can feel quite overwhelming. But while transferring is all of those things, it’s also a lot of good things too. If you’ve ever transferred, you know this to be true. . Whether you’re transferring in September or January, here are 7 tips and tricks to help you through your transition:

1. Trust your decision, and yourself. Be confident. You have followed your heart and taken a risk. That’s an incredible sign of growth and maturity! You need this experience, and are going to learn so much along the way. It may feel tough at first, but it will get better. Trust that you made the right decision, and will succeed during this new chapter in your life.

2. Get involved right away. What better way to meet new people than by getting involved with different clubs and organizations on campus? You can also get involved by getting a job or internship either on or off campus! Being involved will give you things to do with other people and stop you from retreating to Netflix 24/7.

3. Make the first move. When you first get to school, most people won’t know you’re a transfer.  Don’t be afraid to make the first move with new friendships and introduce yourself first. Make plans with someone you met in one of the clubs you’ve joined! Insider’s tip: grabbing lunch or dinner in your dinning hall is always a great, pressure free, first friend date.

4. Find an outlet. It is going to feel stressful at times, so have a way you can destress. Try to remember that everything is  going to be okay. Whether it’s a club, sport, instrument, friend, or anything else, find your happy place! Whatever works for you!

5. Don’t forget about your old friends. Just because you changed schools doesn’t mean you have to lose friendships. Remember that your friends are a support system for you through this.Inviting friends to come visit you at school is also a fun way to help you feel at home and share this new chapter in your life!

6. Stay at school on weekends. In the beginning when everything is new and you haven’t made close connections, it’s going to be tempting to leave on the weekends to go home, to a friends house, or even back to your old school. But staying on the weekends is one of the best ways to make those close connections. If you need an escape now and then, that’s totally understandable, but don’t make a habit of leaving every weekend. You’ll be missing half of the experience!

7. Enjoy. Here you are. You did it. Take it all in, and enjoy where you are.

Elisabeth (Liz) Staal is a student at Emmanuel College in Boston, MA, majoring in English, Communications and minoring in Music-Theatre and Psychology. She relates to Audrey Hepburn and Leslie Knope, and is a pun enthusiast. She has a passion for service, and producing a positive influence on the world to create change. You can follow her on Twitter @estaal15
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.