clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet EC Senior, Hannah Marden!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Meet Hannah Marden, empowered young woman and the QUEEN of Psi Chi here at Emmanuel! Some of us at Her Campus at Emmanuel might be a little bit biased, because she’s one of our favorite ladies! If you’re looking for someone to be your #goals, she is the perfect example, so let’s get to know a little more about her!

Full Name: Hannah Lee Marden

Age: 22

Graduation Year: 2017

Major: Neuroscience with a minor in Organizational Leadership

Extracurricular Activities: President of Psi Chi at Emmanuel, member of the Emmanuel College Performing Arts Department, member of EC swim club

Makenzie Moore: Hey Hannah! Thank you so much for sitting down with me today. We are so excited to get to know some more about you! So, tell me a little bit about yourself. Where you’re from? Where do you work? What are some of your favorite pastimes?

Hannah Marden: I’m from Chelmsford MA. It’s about 40 minutes away. I basically grew up around the city, so it’s pretty much like home to me! I currently work at the Loretto front desk, but I’m also an intern at Longwood Neuropsychology, a private practice for pediatric neuropsych evaluations right around the corner. I’m currently working on a senior directed research project on lead exposure in children. I plan to stay at this internship throughout the summer, so unfortunately I won’t be going back to the summer camp I’ve worked at for 8 years.

MM: Aweomse! Rumor has it that as a senior here at Emmanuel, you just changed your major! Tell us a little about what that’s like.

HM: My original major was psychology with a concentration in neuroscience, and the bottom line was that basically I had a lot of bio and psych credits already, but I really enjoyed neuroscience more. So the school created a new program that allowed me to combine all of my previous credits into a brand new major! It happened at the perfect time for me.

MM: That’s so interesting! Now, why don’t you tell us a little about Psi Chi? We’d love to hear more about it from its Madame President!

HM: Honor’s societies on campus aren’t highly recognized. It’s an academic achievement to be a member, so we want to make sure we’re offering our members the best opportunities and advice for their future! We want our members to make the most of this national organization. We’ve been working a lot in the past year to get our name out there, get involved in the community. We’ve had a couple of events this year; we planned the “Bingo: Consent is Tea” for Title IX (co-sponsored by Her Campus), and brought in a speaker who discussed domestic violence. Around 100 students showed up so it was really successful! We also allowed some students the opportunity to attend a dinner with their professors, as well as the speaker, to provide them with a network basis. I also created Psychology Jeopardy, which we play at our general meetings to make them more fun! We have a forum on discrimination in the workplace coming up on March 21st, and are working with Jeff Smith to spread awareness about postgrad experience and advice. Then, in April, we have a Fenway Research conference to give students the opportunity to present on school and work research.

MM: Very nice! Now, rumor also has it that things have been getting a little “fishy” for you lately- why don’t you tell us about EC Performing Arts Department and their production of The Little Mermaid!

HM: Yes! This is my fourth musical at Emmanuel and I’m very excited to be taking part in it! It’s always nice to stay social and have my own opportunity to shine. I am currently playing Atina, the mersister, and so far it’s been very exciting! It’s a completely new role for me; I’ve never been a mermaid before. I have a lot of wonderfully entertaining fish puns, and love having the opportunity to learn a lot of the classic Disney songs. I love Disney, so getting to perform a Disney show is really amazing!

MM: Sounds wonderful! We can’t wait to see what more is to come! Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me today, Hannah. It’s been an absolute pleasure, as always!

HM: Thank you to Her Campus for working with us at Psi Chi! We’re so excited to get to work on your guy’s upcoming fashion show! Students should love to be involved in both academic activities, as well as the arts; those are the things that make your undergrad really worth while!

Best of luck with your senior year, Hannah!

Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime! 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.