Follow Her: To the Boston Common Tree Lighting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

In case you missed it this year, here are all of the awesome things that went on at the Tree Lighting at the Boston Common on Thursday, December 1st.

First of all, there was some pretty awesome groups that came to sing. From older groups like Bel Biv Devoe with their popular song “Poison”, to up and coming musicians trying to start a career, all of the songs were phenomenal.  A country group from Nova Scotia called The Town Heroes came down to sing as well.  Other entertainment on the stage included skits and dancing.

Soloists dazzled the crowd with their tricks

There were also some amazing skaters that came to show off their moves on the ice rink. Groups, duos, and soloists ranging from adolescents to young adults came to showcase their talent. Each of these acts were wonderful to watch. They each had  a different artistic flair and were never a bore for the constant crowd.

Besides the entertainment, there were free items, which is always a valid reason to go to an event! The freebies ranged from necklaces that lit up, headbands, antlers from various advertisers, and cuzies. These items were an added bonus to the already free event, which is ideal for anyone on a college budget!

Fireworks that followed the lighting of the tree

The best part by far was the actual tree lighting, along with the lighting of the Common. The trees around the Common were graciously donated by Nova Scotia, and were lit up in different colors. If you walked through the gardens, the smaller bushes and bridge were also lit. The lights definitely made it feel like Christmas, and the countdown before lighting the tree enhanced the festivities. Fireworks were set off once the tree lit up, and Christmas songs were sung to wrap up the event before people ventured off to look at all of the lights around the Common.

If you weren’t there this year, you should add it to your calendar for next year! This event is definitely one to experience at least once, especially if you love Christmas or need a way to get into the holiday spirit! Happy holidays, HCXO.

Hi my name is Jess Tartaglio and I am a current sophomore at Emmanuel College in Boston. I am studying for a bachelor's in graphic design with a minor in business. Along with Her Campus I dance through Colleges of the Fenway.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.