Top iPhone Apps for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As collegiettes, it seems like our lives revolve around technology, especially our phones. Technology and social media can be distracting sometimes but they can also be tools for survival. Read on to learn about the top six apps for college students. Because, you know, whatever your struggle is…there’s an app for that. 

Cloth (Free for a limited time; $0.99 in-app upgrade for weather and filters)

Cloth is a simple and easy way to create and share outfits with just a touch of a finger. The app acts like a game because you can sync the app with your favorite social networking sites in order to earn points and see what your friends are wearing! You can also organize your outfits into different categories such as “everyday,” “work,” and “evening.” Cloth even tells you the weather so that you’re never caught in the rain without your stylish trench or rain boots again!

8tracks (Free- also available for Android)

A hipsters dream app: It’s like Pandora but cooler (or less cool if you’re a hipster?) Anyway, this app allows you to create online mixtapes and share them with your friends with no audio ads! You can also listen to mixtapes created by other people; each playlist is composed of eight or more tracks and can be categorized into different moods or actives. You can “like” playlists to save them for later or post them to Facebook or Twitter to share them with friends. 8tracks will make your studying more enjoyable and will expose you to some awesome new tunes.

Starbucks (Free- also available for Android)

Starbucks has answered all our prayers and has provided us with the best thing since Pumpkin Spice Lattes. With this app you can customize and save your own drink order, send your favorite drinks to friends, and even pay at the counter with your phone via your Starbucks Card. The app also has a section where you can look up local Starbucks job listings or find out where the closet Starbucks is to you. Nutrition facts are available on the app as well…which may or may not be a good thing.

Mint.com (Free – also available for Android)

Download this one for the sake of your wallet. Mint.com is an app created to help you budget your money. Through mint.com you can view how much money you’re spending and where you’re spending it. Mint.com syncs directly with your bank account and allows you to view your spendings and organize your budget into different categories. You can make a movie theatre budget, grocery budget, out-to-eat budget—whatever your heart desires! The best part is that you don’t have to enter your own transactions because mint.com does it automatically.

iStudiez Pro ($0.99)

College life gets crazy between all your classes, commitments, parties, and work. Sometimes it can seem overwhelming. iStudiez Pro comes to the rescue with this stress-free app. The app lets you input your classes, including time, teacher, and location, plus it color-codes them into the in-app calendar. The app allows you to keep track of when assignments are due or when finals are. With iStudiez Pro, you can choose to have Push notifications that alert you when an assignment is due or when a class is coming up. You can also back up your information in case you ever lose or break your phone.

Embark Boston T (Free)

Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, we all can agree that taking the T is a complete mess. Finding out what line to take can sometimes be overwhelming and delays are frequent. But now you can just enter your desired starting point and destination and Embark Boston will take care of the rest: telling you when the next train is leaving and what stops to take. After your train ride the app will even give you walking directions straight to your destination. Embark also has apps for other major cities so when you’re traveling outside of Boston you can still look like a cool and calm local.

Cassidy is a Digital Production intern at Her Campus. She's currently a junior studying journalism at Emerson College. Cassidy also is a freelance reporter at the Napa Valley Register and a staff writer at Her Campus Emerson. Previously she blogged for Seventeen Magazine at the London 2012 Olympics, wrote for Huffington Post as a teen blogger and was a Team Advisor at the National Student Leadership Conference on Journalism, Film, & Media Arts at University of California, Berkeley and American University in Washington, D.C.. When she's not uploading content to Her Campus or working on her next article, Cassidy can be found planning her next adventure or perfecting her next Instagram. Follow her on Twitter at @cassidyyjayne and @cassidyjhopkins.  
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop