Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Seasonal DIY Crafts for Your Apartment

Posted Nov 1 2012 - 1:00pm

It’s fall, which means the streets are flooded with leaves, over-sized sweaters, and Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes. Yes, the outdoor trends of fall are wonderful, but here are a few ideas for keeping up with seasonal trends indoors.

If you’re like me, there’s nothing you love more than a good, creative craft to kick off a new season. Want to add some color into your off-white dorm room walls? Just moved into a new apartment and itching to make it feel like home? Want to send your friends and family a letter in a hand-made envelope? These are my top three, favorite “fall-themed” crafts, all of which can be found hanging around my apartment.

LEAF ART 

What you need:
• Canvas or cardstock paper (it’s up to you!)
• Spray on adhesive
• Craft and spray paint (choose your own colors)
• Leaves (make sure you choose leaves with enough definition for pressing)

Tips:
**Before beginning, you need to press the leaves for at least a day. So, press your leaves under some heavy books the night before you want to do this project.

** Use leaves that will leave a good definition on the canvas. Big leaves like the ones used in the above photo work really well.

Step one: Paint the entire canvas or paper the color you want the LEAF to be. Leave to dry for a few minutes.

Step two: Use the adhesive glue on the back of the leaves. Place on the painted surface and make sure the edges are pressed down cleanly. Be careful so the next paint layer doesn’t seep under the leaves.

Step three: Spray paint the ENTIRE surface, including covering the leaves. (You’re spray-painting what the background will be; so when you peel off the leaf, it will be the first color.)

Note: For best results, spray lightly, 1-2 feet away, and move left to right.

Step four: Carefully peel away the leaves.

Pages

You Might Also Like...
Fill out my online form.