How To: Throw a Super Bowl Party in your dorm room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you watched the NFL Conference Championship games last weekend, you know next Sunday the New York Giants and the New England Patriots will be battling for the title of Super Bowl XLVI champs.  Whether you’ll be rocking blue and red for the Giants (like me), or for the Patriots, there is one thing that all football fans can agree on: good game day eats.  Here are a few simple and delicious recipes that can be made in the dorms so you can throw an awesome Super Bowl party for your friends.  Happy eating, and may the best team win!

Individual Seven-Layer Dips
*Adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything

Though I have never been a big fan of seven layer dip, it is essential for any “game day” spread.  This recipe is not only super easy, but the individual servings save you the mess, and are a lot of fun for a party.

[Image via]

What You’ll Need:

• 1 can refried beans
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 cup guacamole
  • 1 container sour cream
  • 1 cup salsa of your choice
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 can sliced olives, drained
  • Clear plastic cups
  • Tortilla chips

In a small bowl, mix the taco seasoning with the refried beans.  Now, start assembling your layers!  Add 2-3 tablespoons of each ingredient for each layer.  Repeat layers until your cup is filled.  If you can, use clear cups so you can see all of the layers!  Top each individual dip with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and a tortilla chip for garnish.

Layer 1: beans and taco seasoning
Layer 2: sour cream
Layer 3: guacamole
Layer 4: salsa
Layer 5: cheese
Layer 6: tomatoes
Layer : olives

[pagebreak]

Popcorn Party Mix
*Adapted from The Avid Appetite

This recipe is absolutely delicious.  It’s the perfect salty and savory treat that will show your blue, red, and white pride no matter what team you’re cheering on!

[Image via]

What You’ll Need:

• 3 bags microwavable popcorn, popped
  • ½ cup honey roasted peanuts
  • 1 bag pretzel M&M’s (go for Giants and Patriots colors)
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • A pinch of salt
  • Decorating sprinkles (again, pick Giants and Patriots colors)

Pop popcorn in the microwave as directed on the package.  On a disposable baking sheet lined with parchment paper, pour about half of the peanuts, M&M’s, and decorating sprinkles.

Separately, melt the white chocolate in the microwave until a slight liquid consistency (the original recipe calls for mixing the chocolate with canola oil, but it works just fine without it). 

Drizzle the melted chocolate over your popcorn and sprinkle with salt.  Add the remaining peanuts, M&M’s and sprinkles.  Let cool and serve!

[pagebreak]

Family Recipe: Pizza Dip

This is a must in my house for any game or party.  A little tip: make two of these.  It’s so delicious, it’ll be gone before you know it!

What You’ll Need:

• 1-8 0z. package of cream cheese, room temp
  • 1 jar of pizza sauce
  • 1 medium size onion (if you’d like)
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1 package of pepperoni, diced into quarters
  • Black olives (if you’d like)
  • Tortilla chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a disposable 9 inch pie tin, spread out cream cheese.  Pour about two-thirds of the pizza sauce over the cream cheese.  If you’d like, sprinkle the diced onion on top of your layer of sauce.

Pile on the mozzarella cheese!  Don’t be stingy with this step!   Next, add quarter slices of pepperoni over the entire layer of cheese.  Make sure to cover the entire area so each little bite has pepperoni.  Add the black olives on top.  If you know some of your guests are not too fond of black olives, only put them around the edge of the pie tin.  This way the middle of the dip is olive-free and everyone is happy.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.  Let cool.  Whip out those tortilla chips and dig in!

[pagebreak]

Jalapeño Bites
*Recipe from Food.com

This snack is a new take on the classic Jalapeño Popper.  Quick, easy, and extremely addicting!

[Image via]

What You’ll Need:

• 1-8 oz. package of cream cheese, room temp
  • 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped jalapeño pepper
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 cups dry breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

On a cutting board, chop up jalapeño peppers (make sure to remove seeds).  In a bowl, combine cream cheese, diced peppers, and egg yolks.  Roll ½ tablespoon of mixture into a small ball, then roll in bread crumbs.  Repeat until mixture is done.  Place on a disposable baking sheet (ungreased) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool a little and serve warm.  Enjoy!

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.