How to Get a Sugar Fix Without All the Guilt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s hard to find the perfect costume for that one special night, but it’s just as hard trying not to feel bloated and sick on November 1st. It doesn’t have to be hard, though. With a few simple tips you will feel sweet, not sour. 

1.   Try Dark Chocolate Candies 

We all like milk chocolate, but if you want more for your calories, dark chocolate is the way to go. Another upside, dark chocolate satisfies much faster than milk chocolate candies do. The new dark chocolate M&Ms will help prevent you from hitting the bottom of that king size bag while giving you cardiovascular benefits. Peanut M&Ms are another good option. If you can’t stand the bitter taste of dark chocolate, at least gain the benefits of protein. You have to have a healthy body for the stress of Black Friday!

2.  Eat Candies That Make You Chew More 

Stop scarfing down Starbursts! Get your fruity fix with Now & Laters instead. You chew them longer, so your brain has time to register that you’re happy after just a few. Even gum does this. You may not be able to swallow, but if it’s sugary flavor you want, a few long lasting candies are all you need.  

3.   Pixy Stix Are Sometimes Better Than Other Sugary Treats 

Pixy Stix make us crazy because they are pure sugar, but they also don’t fill our bodies with the artificial junk that candies like Twizzlers and Starbursts have. Don’t exceed your limit, though. No one wants a flashback to 3rd grade when you were bouncing off the walls after four Pixy Stix. 

4.   Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. ALL DAY

Before you go to the big Halloween party, grab a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. It’s got more energizing protein than any other candy. Any candy with nuts has a good source of protein – at least that’s what you can tell people when you stuff your face with Hershey’s chocolate almond bars.  

5.   Less Fat Doesn’t Mean Less Delicious 

Fat free doesn’t mean flavor free. Indulge in some less caloric candies this Halloween and you won’t regret it the next day.  

Halloween is a time to dress up and eat a lot of candy. Try to be a little more conscious of what that type of candy is, and you will be able to enjoy all you want without a disappointing trip to the scale. Trust me, it’s not a trick. 

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor