This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We like TV. We like our friends. So how about TV shows about friends? We’ve laughed endlessly at Kramer’s wacky mannerisms in Seinfeld, sympathized with Ross and Rachel from Friends, and adored Zooey Deschanel’s portrayal of quirky Jess from New Girl. Here are five fantastic shows about friends and what makes them great:

1.  Friends (you can’t say you didn’t see it coming): Friends has got it all: a little bit of romance, slapstick humor, and even a few heartfelt moments. Friends is one of the most successful TV shows and was revolutionary for sitcoms. Sure, it may be a bunch of young friends in the city – like a number of other sitcoms – but each member of the group has their own distinct personality and background (and let’s be honest, no other sitcom has a song about a smelly cat). With Chandler as the funny one, Joey as the spacey imbecile, Phoebe as the weirdo, Ross as the logical one, Rachel as the naive beauty, and Monica as the one who holds them together, the group comes together to complete the formula that makes the friends, well, Friends.

2.  How I Met Your Mother: HIMYM has gotten big within the last couple years, and for good reason. This sitcom has got its own original hook – it’s told from the main character’s perspective to his children about their mother. And while we wait on the edge of our seats to find out exactly who the mysterious woman will be, we’re falling in love with Marshall, Lily, Ted, Robin, and… wait for it… Barney! How I Met Your Mother is one of those shows with long term changes (like Ted and Robin’s on and off relationship) and also episode-by-episode situations. Once you start watching, you won’t stop. HIMYM is full of dynamic and relatable characters, original situations, and authentic jokes packed in every other line.

3.  That 70s Show: This sitcom with a twist is full of wacky situations, pot-smoking, and Kitty’s obnoxious, infectious laughter. Set in rural Wisconsin, That 70s Show depicts six teenagers – Eric, Donna, Kelso, Jackie, Fez, and Hyde – hanging out in the Foreman’s basement… Pretty different from your typical city-set TV show. It’s a great show to watch when flipping through the channels on a rainy afternoon, as you can jump in anywhere in the season and pretty much understand what’s going on. Packed with humor, a little bit of romance, and some 70s culture, That 70s Show and all of its actors have come so far since the show first aired in 1998.

4.  The Big Bang Theory: This witty show blew up a year or two ago with a number of awards and new viewers. The Big Bang Theory features four nerdy scholars working together and their sassy new neighbor, Penny. And apparently, forcing intellectuals into social situations results in hilarity. This show is not only full of witty jokes and hints of romance, but also a few scientific references (Did you know that The Big Bang Theory is the first sitcom to employ a science consultant?). The Big Bang Theory is a breath of fresh air with a dynamic friend group, clever jokes, and a few facts thrown in.

5. 1.  Girls: It might look like another show about some white twenty-something girls living big in the city, but Girls is not what it seems. Filled with four awkward friends, both petty and not-so-petty problems, and lots of sex, Girls challenges issues that other shows don’t. And it’s perfect for other poor, recent college grads to identify with. Just like Gossip Girl and Sex and the City, Girls portrays a group of young girls living in New York, but Girls eliminates the fake glamour and replaces it with the invigorating – though sometimes awkward – truth. Girls features subtle and realistic humor, quirky characters, and the refreshing truth.

Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop